Chapter 1: Frustration

It was another beautiful day in Magnolia. The sun was shining and the famous Fairy Tail guild hall was as rowdy as ever. The guild members were eating, drinking, and laughing to their heart's content. It had been almost a year and a half since the battle with Alavarez and there was finally some sense of peace in the world. Inside the Fairy Tail guild hall, Natsu and Lucy were having a meal together.

"Ugh, I've been having really bad writer's block lately" Lucy groans.

"Why don't you try writing a side story and take a break from your novel? It might help you clear your head." Natsu says carelessly, as he's about to stuff his face.

Lucy stares blankly at him, "That... is actually a really good idea Natsu! I can't believe you just had one of those." Natsu is too distracted by his meal to register the jab at his intelligence.

Lucy scans the guild looking for inspiration. Suddenly the guildhall doors slam open. In the opening, the powerful presence of the Thunder Legion takes place and the guild goes silent. "Bingo" Lucy says under her breath.

The Thunder Legion starts walking into the guild and slowly everyone goes back to what they were doing. "Hey Laxus, come over here! Let's battle it out and-" Natsu yells while still chewing his food.

"Doesn't he ever get tired of getting punched in the face?" Evergreen groans.

"You've gotta admire his persistence" Bickslow chuckles.

As they make their way to an empty table, ignoring Natsu, Lucy runs up to the team, "Hey! How'd the job g-". She stops once she notices the tension between the two members who haven't said a word since they walked in.

"It was fine." Laxus replies, "Do you need something?" There was an awkwardness in the air.

"You know... nevermind I think my writer's block has been all cleared up" Lucy says as she backs away nervously. She makes her way back to the table.

"What happened? Did you get the writing material you wanted?" Natsu asks.

"Not quite. Something's up with Freed and Laxus. It's so weird I feel like they have always been in sync, but the tension between them has been so hostile lately. I wonder what happened" Lucy explains, still eyeing the Thunder Legion's table.

At the Thunder Legion's table Freed finally broke the silence, "You didn't have to be so rude, Laxus."

"How was that being rude??" Laxus snaps back.

Freed scoffs and rolls his eyes.

"You have had a bad attitude the whole way back, Freed. What the hell is your problem?"

The two of them glare at each other.

"You want to know what my problem is?!"Freed stands up as if he's about to yell at Laxus, then stops. He notices some of the other guild members staring. His shoulders relax, he takes in a deep breath, "Nothing. I'm going for a walk." he gets out of his seat and walks away from the group.

Laxus rubs his eyebrows and lets out a heavy sigh, "I need a drink." He gets up and walks to the bar.

"Mira, give me a pint."

"Do you want to talk about it?" she asks as she pours Laxus some beer.

"Maybe after a drink... or five." he replies without looking up from the counter.

Still at the table, Evergreen and Bickslow are left alone with the lingering tension. "We should talk to them. They're both too stubborn and dumb to clear this up on their own" says Evergreen.