To Protect

It was sudden.

One moment he was fighting the weird mud aliens surrounding them and suddenly he was in front of Gempa, red sparks flying everywhere.

The pain that went through him surprised him. It was swift enough that he didn't have time to even grunt or scream.

He just took the attack that was meant for his counter-part.

It was stupid to do that. They all knew that protecting another elemental was-should be the last priority and that their other friends should come first. They could just be summoned again later.

But he had to.

He saw Gempa struggling to protect their friends. Summoning one earth barrier after another while trying to gain control of the element that the monster-like aliens were taking advantage of. It was both a disadvantage and advantage to have the elemental.

But as long as the earth-manipulator's will was stronger, they'll be able to turn the tides!

That's why we can't lose him!

Halilintar's thoughts hissed at him as he saw one of the mud aliens manage to manipulate the earth pillar towards Gempa-- Gempa who had just managed to knock out one of the enemies targeting Yaya—Gempa who wasn't looking—

Idiot!

"Look out!"

He heard Ice yell from afar.

"Gempa—"

Fang could barely fight them off with all the thick earth slowing him down, inhibiting his limbs and movements.

"Where—"

Gopal squeaked as Halilintar zipped past him with inhuman speed.

Electricity was useless against earth anyw—

CRACK—

A scream—Ying's—echoed loud and clear.

He watched as Gempa finally turned to him, eyes wide and alert—and—

He was surprised to see how clear emotions actually do reflect in one's eyes.

Shock, horror, denial—

He made it.

That's what matters.

He watched as the other's mouth moved, saying his name, eyes still wide like he couldn't believe what he had just done.

His ears were ringing and his vision was starting to blur...

The blow on the back of his neck was really—

"Gempa! We have to—" Yaya was interrupted (probably from another attack which she quickly countered by the sound of it).

Time seemed to speed up again as he finds himself falling forward— towards Gempa, whose golem arms were immediately held out catching him.

He still looked stunned—Halilintar couldn't help but note.

His head fell forward against the other's shoulder and he finds himself letting go of the swords he was actually holding.

...why didn't he use them to parry the attack?! Stupid panic—

"Hali..." Gempa's voice trembled.

And he can feel it.

He can feel himself being summoned back to the watch. His mission here was done—