nine.

CAIUS WATCHES AS the sun hits Athenodora's skin, lighting it up with sparkles

CAIUS WATCHES AS the sun hits Athenodora's skin, lighting it up with sparkles. Her fair hair falls over her shoulders, cascading down her back. She gazes out of the window to the hills.

Caius truly does love her. But ever since Jordyns arrival things haven't felt the same, they both feel it.

"You're beautiful." Caius is behind her, putting a piece of loose hair behind her ear.

She tilts her head up and smiles at him, though it doesn't reach her eyes.

"Thank you." Her voice is soft and quiet, which is quite unusual; her demeanor is normally bubbly and loud.

Caius frowns, "Are you okay, Dora?" He knows she isn't, of course.

She sighs and turns, "Things aren't the same. I know you feel it."

"I don't know what you-" Caius shakes his head.

Athenodora cuts him off, "You do know, Caius," her tone is harsh and stern, "I do not know what has happened but things haven't felt the same for almost two weeks."

Caius looks down at his shoes, he did know what was happening. Marcus had told him something about his bonds with Athenodora weakening because of the true mate bond with Jordyn, it made him angry. He was angry because he feels things for Jordyn instead of Athenodora. He's known Athenodora for nearly three millennia, he's only known Jordyn for a week.

After he doesn't respond to her, Athenodora sighs once more and pushes past him, "I'll be with Sulpicia." She is by the door in a second, entering into Sulpicia's room.

Caius clenches his hands into fists and squeezes, if he was still, human his bones would be breaking through his skin.

The human is ruining everything. His work, his marriage, his facade, albeit he cannot stay away from her, and if he's being honest, he doesn't want to. He will never tell anyone that though, only Aro and himself would know.

He lets out an aggravated sigh, Jordyn certainly is right about his mood swings.

He is soon descending down the stone stairs of the south tower, heading for the throne room.

***

JORDYN STANDS IN FRONT of the bathroom mirror, looking at the way her brown hair is standing up all over the place from her sleep, she looks straight ahead at the mirror, her slight sunburn has now morphed into a bit of a tan, her skin isn't as translucent as it would have been in Forks.

She moves her gaze down to her neck, just like the night before, it is still purple and splotchy, but some green is slowly starting to show. It isn't throbbing anymore.

She looks away from the bruise and picks up the blue hairbrush that sits on the white sink and begins ripping through the knots, cringing at the sound.