Part One: Unexpected

The whole way to the lake, she'd walked with her fist clenched so tightly around the pendant that it was biting into her hand, her heart pounding in her chest at the words she planned to say.

He was already there waiting when she arrived at the lakeshore, wearing his uniform. The sight of him standing there in the snow dressed as a soldier ready for battle instead of the carefree boy she'd grown up with sent all of her careful words right out of her head. "You came," she said.

"Of course I did, Elke. You said it was important. Even if it wasn't, I would've come anyway. You've always been like a sister to me."

Ignoring the familiar stab of pain in her heart at the oft-repeated words, "When do you leave, Markus?"

"A few hours. James is going to give me a ride down to catch the early train. We ship out in a week." His eyes grew thoughtful. A silence settled over them for the next few minutes as they stood, side-by-side, staring out unseeing at the moon reflecting on the water, the coming days and months weighing heavily on both of their minds.

Regaining her sense of the present first, she said, "Markus."

Distractedly, "Yes, Elke?"

"I wanted to be here with you, just us, one more time before... everything." She hesitated and then continued, "And to give you something."

"You don't have to give me anything, Elke."

She carefully unclenched the hand that had become a locked fist, taking his hand in her other one, turning it palm up and placing the pendant in it, closing his hand around it. "Take this. Keep it with you, and stay safe."

He opened his hand, lifting it to see better in the pale light. His eyes widened when he realized what it was, and he reached to give it back, saying, "But, Elke,... Wasn't this...? No, I couldn't possibly-"

She forestalled him by putting up a hand. "Yes, you can and you will. It was Amma's. She told me it kept grandfather safe every time he went away. Please, Markus. My father is gone. I have no brothers. There is no one who means more to me or who I would rather have it than you, my dearest friend. Take it as a good luck charm, as a talisman against harm, as a reminder of a silly girl back home, if you must. If you still want to give it back to me when you come home, I'll take it then. Not before. Just come home. This will keep you safe until you do. Amma said so. Please, Markus..." she covered her face and began to cry softly.

In two steps, he was there, his arms around her, holding her closely and comforting her as he would a friend, a sister. She tried to let herself believe it was more. Just for a moment. As she quieted, he pulled back slightly and teased her, "I'll be back, little deer. You'll not be rid of me so easily. What price would you exact for so precious a gift?"

"I hope not," she whispered, then gathered her courage. "It's a bargain, really. Only one kiss."

He laughed. "Gladly!" he said, and bent to kiss her cheek. She turned at the last moment, captured his lips with her own, and kissed him for all she was worth. Afraid of his response, she left him standing there in shock, his free hand reaching up to touch his mouth, and ran for the woods, calling behind her, "Goodbye, Markus! Come home safe to me!"

* * * * * * * * *

She went the long way home so that they would not cross paths again tonight, the moon lighting her way even through the trees. She was more than halfway there when she heard it...the sound of thundering hooves and dogs on the hunt, one of the dogs sounding awfully close. She started to run again, hoping to somehow get out of the way. The light was growing fainter, and the sound louder. She turned to look behind her and saw an army of ghostly figures on horseback bearing down on her. Before the inevitable scream had fully left her throat, she was falling. She hit her head and knew no more for quite some time.

When she woke, she was wrapped in furs, lying on the floor before a fire in a huge, grand hall she'd never seen before, filled with warriors and maidens just like the ones in the old storybooks Amma used to read to her.

A booming voice from across the room startled her by saying, "She's awake. Bring her."

Some of the women lifted her to her feet and guided her to stand in front of what could only be a king. And judging by the fact that he only had one eye..."You can't be... This is all a dream, and I have to wake up. You're all stories!" She was beginning to panic.

"I can't be who? Odin? I'm terribly sorry you find me such a disappointment, dear. I'm sure stories are told about me, but that doesn't mean they aren't true. It's certainly not my fault most of you have grown lazy and can no longer see beyond those belonging to your own realm."

The hard stare of that single eye was enough to cause her hands to shake, so she hid them behind her back. "Please," she said. "I don't belong here. I have to go home."

"You cannot. Those who witness the Wild Hunt are free to be taken up to Valhalla with us. And," he added as if it explained everything, "you bore the mark."

"What mark?"

"Foolish girl, The mark. Hold out your right hand. Palm up. There. You see? You belong to me." There in her palm was the imprint of the rune on the back of the pendant, the one Amma said meant protection.

She pleaded to no avail. But Odin was not entirely unkind. He granted her the safety of Markus and those around him, so long as he should have her family's ancient pendant. And he granted her the means to watch over him and see it done. She would be his follower, his protectress, his guardian, his fylgja.