08. -HOMECOMING PT 1.

━━━━Homecoming Part One━━━━

Aside from the slight incident of the dead coming back for a day, most things seemed to be oddly calm within Mystic Falls. Salem however found herself again being the odd one out despite Damon's best attempts to keep her distracted and charmed.

She couldn't be bothered with idle chit-chat or the babbling gossip Caroline offered. Elena and Bonnie were up to only God knew what and Stefan, well she was hoping he would eventually cling on to an ounce of his humanity.

Rebekah oddly seemed to be the only person she could suffice, they both found each other's company not as bad as they had expected. Rebekah took comfort in the sketches Salem showed her of Klaus and the rest of the Mikaelson family along with the memories she had dreamed of them.

It was as if through Salem, Rebekah was able to live through her past life. Salem's heart often felt heavy at the grief and sadness that filled the eyes of the blonde when she looked through the sketches of her past life, fingers running over each page as if she could somehow magically pull the memories into reality.

Salem stared at herself in the mirror, the purples dress that clung tight to her body revealed more skin than she was used to but somehow it felt freeing.

She hated school functions but she wanted one night of normal, one night to just be a normal teenager going to homecoming, no vampire business, and no self pity. She was tired of hiding in her room, wondering why she was so useless or just sketching Klaus if not dreaming about him.

He hadn't called her or even messaged her, she should've been happy that maybe he was finally gone for good but it didn't make her happy at all.

She admired herself in the mirror, not sure if the dress met homecoming standards but it just suited her, called to her in a way that not many things did.

She tried not to think about the fact that she didn't have a date, she knew of only one man that would happily swoop in like her own personal white knight and save her from that embarrassment but she often found herself scared of Damon.

Not for what he had done or who he was but because of what stood unspoken, she was many things but not stupid. She and Damon had danced around each other for a good year when he first arrived in Mystic Falls, nothing but hatred laced her heart for him but he had proven to be more than what he let on.

And maybe in another reality, she would've fallen for it, knowing that part of him cared about her if not a slither of what he felt for Elena. She could feel the tension between the two since they had met, and she knew ultimately it'd be Elena, it had been Elena to save him from himself.

Maybe still trying to but deep down Salem knew she found herself attracted to something far darker than anything Damon ever possessed.

She felt fairly plain the longer she stared in the mirror, her long curls falling down her back like tendrils of darkness in contrast to the light coloring of her dress. She tucked the necklace Klaus had gifted her inside the dress as if she couldn't bear to part with it but also hated the reminder it gave.