21 - The Polar Opposites

The ride was for the most part smooth and blessedly uneventful. In the early hours of it, the girls spent the time alternating between singing OPM and Kpop songs. Joaquin was driving. Riding shot gun was Noah. Beside me, Rhiannon and Haven were watching a movie on her iPad while Zylo and the rest of the girls were at the back, now jamming along after they took a video of our first ten minutes in the car.

For the vlog, Noah said. I wasn't comfortable being seen like that, but whatever. I was past the point of caring as I was too sleepy.

Some time after the second hour on the road passed, I drifted to sleep. When I was roused awake, it was around five a.m., and we were already in La Union.

Noah never informed me where we'd be staying, but I thought I heard from Haven that they rented an Airbnb somewhere near San Juan.

By the time the early streaks of the morning sun were filtering through the clouds, everyone had perked up, dangling halfway between sleep and being awake.

"Malapit na ba tayo?"

It was Annika who asked.

Rhiannon pulled out her phone to check the map and nodded her head.

"Five minutes. Babe, alam mo ba?"

Noah turned around to take a snap shot of us with Rhiannon's mirrorless camera. "I know the way—smile."

Rhiannon did. I didn't. I brought a pillow earlier, thank the heavens, and buried my face there instead.

I heard another click before Noah went back to giving directions to Joaquin.

Behind me, the girls were beginning to talk again, an indication that they too had begun documenting the trip again.

I was too aware of them to go back to sleep, but I kept my face planted on my pillow. I only shifted when my phone vibrated from between my fingers.

When I checked, I saw that it was Rhys.

Rhys:
Hey, coffee?

Me:
I can't. I'm in Elyu.

Rhys:
With who?
You know... it's getting harder to see you these days.

Me:
It's getting harder to be with myself too.

Rhys:
Haha what?
What does that mean?

Me:
Long story 😫
And I'm with Noah and his friends. Your people. Rhiannon's here.

Rhys:
Wait, is that the trip they talked to me about?
So you're with Zylo, huh?

Me:
Yeah, he's sitting behind me.

Rhys:
😏

Me:
What does that mean?

Rhys:
Shoot your shot, bud. It's your time.

Me:
Ang aga aga, Rhys.

Rhys:
Hahaha. I'd kill to see the day you fall for someone.

Me:
Everyone's waiting for that day. Get in line.

Rhys:
Really? Is that why you're avoiding it?

Me:
I'm not...
How did you even know that?

Rhys:
I was just throwing it out there. Didn't think I'd hit the mark haha.
So?