The only chapter

Warning: Mention of death, Mention of drowning, described drowning, memorial?

«•»

Standing beside the pond you waited in battered breath for her return. Something you did everyday since you first caught a glimpse of her. The way her shoulder length hair glowed in the radiant sun, the way the pond shimmered and shone onto her skin, making her shine.

The way her smile was non-existant, not even there as she stared emotionless down to the water, eyes tracing the ripples and fish swimming below.

You wanted to capture her in that moment forever, having taken out your camera, focusing in on her and snapping the perfect photo. You had looked down to it, making sure it was perfect before looking up to find her again.

But like a ghost, she had vanished.

You searched for hours with no luck, eyes never finding her dull sad ones.

So you vowed to return to the pond every day, again and again until you do find her. To tell her she looked beautiful, to tell her that the outfit she chose complimented her. To tell her that it's okay to be sad, but to let her know that she wasn't alone.

You wanted to make peace, to get to know her, to be friends.

She left though, she left and you never seen her since then. You always hoped she would turn up, it was selfish, you knew.

You knew you should have not visited the memorial planted in her name. It was a small willow tree that you had the pleasure of watching grow over the years, weeping over the pond like she must have done so many times.

Her name was on a small metal plate, glistening in every morning sun, every heavy rain and every snow fall.

Not the sky was dark, gray and heavy the pond still and sullen. Today did her no justice.

Drowning never seemed to be the right death for her, face down in that same pond. Then again, no death did.

It had been years since you had last seen her, and you can only hope she rested in peace.