The only chapter

Warning: Mentions a knife, Paranormal-ish

«•»

I stood still, heart hammering and breath frozen in my lungs. I stared unceasingly, unable to know what to make of it.

Fear drove you to take a knife, one from the kitchen and outside.

It lay on the ground know, cold and wet with the dew.

Those bright, flickering golden eyes stared back at me. Reflecting from the near light of my home, the only thing that could be seen hovering feet over my head.

Its body was even darker against the night. Thin and lanky, the black of it seemed to suck in the dark around, like a feast of hungry wolves.

My feet were glued to the ground, unable to tear from the grass and soil as those eyes held me there. The irises swirled violet at times as it held my gaze.

I shook nor shuddered as it moved, as it examined my being.

It is looking for something. The back of my mind would urge at a hissing whisper in my ear. It seeks something that it thinks you might have.

What does it search for, I wonder. An item or food? A person or prey?

It searches... It would whisper back quietly, as if it held its breath too.

Those eyes flickered back up to mine, In those eyes swirled something that I wouldn't ever be able to understand or comprehend.

With a shuddering groan, the thing raised its leg, stepping forward, neck stretching as its front facing eyes descended even to mine. I can see it now, the flat of its face. Human like but creepy.

But I did not fear it. It did not make me cry out in scare, I did not cower away in fright.

It searches. My mind would whisper again.

I shudder as the thing moved its other appendage forward, setting it on the grass carefully. The sound of leaves crunching softly from early fall followed as it shifted its weight, stooping closer. Its face close to mine.

I could smell it, the smell of carrion and lavender filled my senses, engulfing my mind in a fog. I could imagine this is what sleeping gas felt like, smelling something before having your mind fogged over for deep sleep.

Except, this scent wasn't sending me into sleep or bouts of drowse. It was calming, even the undertone of rotting flesh was pushed aside by the mellow of my mind.

Then I hear it, a soft humming. A vibrating pitch, low and defined came from the creature.

It moved forward, my mind slipping further into the calming state, almost as if I was falling into slumber.

This time it was not my voice that spoke to me:

"I have finally found you~"