fourteen.

HIS LIPS ARE cold and smooth like marble

HIS LIPS ARE cold and smooth like marble. They press very softly against her warm ones.

It takes Jordyn a split second to react, but once she does, she melts into the kiss, losing all self control.

Their lips fit perfectly together, like puzzle pieces finally pressed together, finally connected.

All the built up tension is gone.

Caius gently pulls away and presses his forehead against
hers, looking into her chocolate eyes.

"You're leaving soon." He states, a hint of sadness in his voice.

Jordyn is leaving in six days. She's already been in Italy for three weeks.

Jordyn shrugs, "I could come back after the wedding."

Caius nods before pulling away and grabbing Jordyns hand, pulling her up from the bench.

"Let's walk." He says, leading Jordyn down to the path through the garden.

The two walk and told stories, their hands stay clasped together the whole time.

Jordyns heart is beating faster each second she spends with Caius.

***

FROM THE SOUTH tower Athenodora could see everything.

Her room looked out over part of the gardens and the gazebo.

She saw Caius kiss the human girl, and take her hand. She saw the way he looked at her, a way he's never looked at Athenodora.

She is hurt.

She is mad.

He's the only thing shes ever known. For the past three thousand years she's depended on him for everything.

She knows they're not true soulmates, but she loves him more than anything.

And now he doesn't need her.

If Athenodora was able to cry, her face would be stained with tears.

She stands by that window for the rest of the day, she still stands in the same exact position when the door is opened and softy closed.

"Dora?" Caius's voice fills the quiet room.

Athenodora closes her eyes and sighs before turning around, her eyes slowly opening.

"Yes?" Her voice is weak.

"What's the matter?" He takes a few steps towards her, but she backs up.

"I saw." Her voice is now a whisper and breaks. 

Caius sighs. He never meant to hurt Athenodora, but he also never planned to fall for Jordyn. He has no idea what to do.

Athenodora has been his companion forever, but Jordyn is so much more already.

"Saw what?" He decides to play it dumb.

Athenodora squeezes her firsts together, "Do not play stupid, Caius. You were kissing that human." She spits the last part. The way she said it reminds Caius of how he acted towards Jordyn only a few weeks ago.

Cold and full of hatred.

"Athenodora-"

She cuts him off, "Have you gotten that bored? You used to pity humans, but now you're kissing them? She isn't even that pretty if I'm being honest." Athenodora shakes her head.

Caius grows defensive at Athenodora insulting Jordyn, "She's my soulmate, Athenodora. I never meant for this to happen."

Athenodora gasps, he's found his soulmate.

"What does this mean?" Venom pools in her crimson eyes, thought it'll never fall.

"You're free to go if you please." Caius feels nothing towards Athenodora anymore.

"You're getting rid of me? Replacing me?" Athenodora hisses.

"I guess so." Is all Caius says before turning away and leaving the room.

Athenodora slams her hand down on the wooden table that was next to her, cracks form all around her hand.

***

"AND THEN WE kissed." Jordyn tells Demetri.

It was later that night, Demetri had seen Jordyn get dropped off at her room by Caius and wanted all the details.

He practically forced Jordyn to tell him everything that had happened.

"Wow Jordyn, you got him to fall in love with you in only three weeks? Impressive. I have to thank you, he's been nicer to us lately." Demetri smiles at her.

Jordyn rolls her eyes, "You're welcome, I guess. And he is not in love."

"Oh, come on," Demetri scoffs, "no one has ever seen him this happy." Even while with Athenodora.

Jordyn blushes and hides her face with her hair, "Too bad I have to leave soon."

"Maybe you don't have to." Demetri shrugs.

Jordyn snorts, "Yeah, Bella would murder me."

Demetri is about to respond but theres knock at the door, Demetri looks at Jordyn and she shrugs before standing up from her bed and pulling the door open.

Caius stands in the door way, smiling down at Jordyn.

"Somebody wants to meet you." He sticks his hand out for Jordyn to take it, and she does.

Demetri waves before they exit the room down the hall.

edited: 9/1/22