Disclaimers

There are seven rules.

01 - This book has mature aspects, but it is not mature. You'll encounter some harsh language, violence and sexual implications, but there are no explicit scenes, extreme topics nor any of the content listed under Wattpad's mature guidelines.

02 - I write in Canadian grammar and spelling, referencing APA style in cases of ambiguity. This means I put the letter 'u' everywhere (colour, favourite) and capitalize titles when they're used as a noun (King, Captain), but I follow the APA guide pertaining to ellipses and colons.

03 - The occasional slip-up from the third-person narrative is not a mistake. If you're a picky reader, you might notice the occasional breakdown in the narrative of this story. This book—although it may not look like it—is written in the first person. Do with that information what you will.

04 - I don't use the Oxford comma unless it's necessary for understanding. The Oxford comma makes no logical sense. Change my mind.

05 - The character list is not necessary to read. I've only included it for anyone who struggles with names or those that take a break from the story.  While the book does have a large cast and may require your close attention, I've done my best to make everything as clear as possible.

06 - Feel free to tell me what you don't like, but keep in mind that very little in this book is subject to change. I believe criticism to be an essential step in creating the best version of my work. However, over the years, each and every aspect of this story has been ruthlessly scrutinized already. If something has managed to stay the way it is throughout that process, it's because I consciously chose to keep it the way it is. I adore hearing what readers think, but please be kind and keep the above in mind. With that being said, my constant editing does make me prone to the occasional typo. If you see something that looks like nothing more than a mistake, please let me know and I can fix it for the next reader. If you're someone I've asked for criticism, ignore this rule.

07 - You'll die if you skip the prologue. You will. Violently. Pirates will come for you in the dark of night and take you away to a deep, dark place where no one will ever find you. I could be kidding, but I also could be being serious. Just don't take the chance. The prologue is essential for understanding and experiencing the overall arc of the book.

CHARACTERS

notable members of the Avourienne

captain BARDARIAN, Vallin

first mate BATES, Corvo

quartermaster COURTLEY, Charles

strategist BRITTER, Liam

strategist SILTA, Novari

head navigator RUSHER, Alexander

assistant navigator STARLE, James

head scout JACKSON, Fiji

crow's scout NELSON, Trevor

crow's scout TAILSLEY, Lyra

doctor MILLER, Skye

chef KOURVOURK, Stan

deckhand TOLVA, Denver