Chapter 16.

16一 and these bonds are irreplaceable

༻𖥸༺

ROHAN WAS QUITE CONTENT WITH his current position, sitting back to back with the Obelian Prince inside of said prince's tent as the younger boy played with his burnt-orange hair.

"It grew out..." The blonde mumbled, gloved fingers fiddling with the tips of the Duke's low ponytail.

The eighteen year-old felt like laughing at the absent-minded observation, his mouth curving into a fond expression as he slanted his head backwards in an attempt to look at his younger counterpart. "Of course it grew out. It's been months since I last saw you."

Athan simply hummed, quite clearly uninterested in making small talk and more than happy to remain in this silent atmosphere. Rohan did not give him the pleasure.

"You know the gift you've sent for Cassiopeia's birthday?" This is the beginning of a rant, the jeweled eyed prince inwardly sighed. "It somehow got in her head that it was a declaration of love, of all things. And then, that spiraled down into a mess that the two of you are having a secret affair, topped off with a far-tale of forbidden love and that you'd take her as a fiancé were it not for His Majesty's disapproval." The Grand Duke took a deep breath as his fingers pinched the bridge of his nose. "Do you even know what I've had to deal with on a daily basis because of that? Do you?"

Athanasius was silent, his fingers long since untangled from the older's hair, but Rohan could clearly see the suppressed laughter in his friend's shoulders.

Clearing his throat and mentally composing himself, the blonde eloquently replied, "It would have been impolite for me not to send a birthday gift for my best friend's dear sister. Besides," A scheeming upturn of the lips and Athan was watching the orange-hair with glowing eyes, "I've given you the perfect reason to peacefully rid yourself of her. I hardly believe that this is basis for frustration."

Rohan sighed and plopped backwards on the furs underneath them. It was true, but damn it if he was going to admit it.

Athan didn't seem to care either way.

"So," The Prince continued after a few moments, "how long have you been away from your fief?"

"Three weeks, give or take a few days. I'm letting my vassals stew in Cassiopeia's disillusions. It's been peaceful." The innocent tone was quite obvious to spot.

The fourteen year-old was promptly overtaken by a fit of laughter as he doubled backwards on the furs besides his best friend. To His Highness' mirth, the Duke cracked a smile.

He liked seeing Athanasius happy. He looked so much brighter when he smiled from the heart and allowed himself to be unguarded for a few moments. Rohan had come to cherish those sparce moments一 fleeting and rare as they were 一and being the cause of them was rewarding on a superior level.