2. | butterfly milk

feedback on the new writing
would be v helpful !
thanks 🥰

  Your body was laying halfway off of the bed. It wasn't the most comfortable, or natural position, but it felt right at the time. You press the phone up closer to your ear with an increasing smile as you listen to your friend on the other end.

"Aww, Y/N, it's beautiful here! You'd love it. I just know it," onceler beams into the phone.

A soft giggle escapes your chest, a lightness in your cheeks as you hear his voice. "I'll have to come visit you sooner than expected then, huh?" You smirk into the phone.

It's been a few days since you've heard from him, and, no lie, you really missed his voice. It was hard to believe that it had already been a month since he's left.
Being bored was an understatement. Most of your free time was spent with Oncie. Living without him was pretty lame. Who else were you supposed to stuff your cheeks full of marshmallows with? Or sing stupid songs about birds when you both couldn't sleep at night? Nobody.

"Sure! I'm think the Lorax wouldn't mind! I've already told him about you. Well, mentioned you, really."

You glance out the window of your bedroom and notice the dusky sky. Your brows furrow slightly. "Just couldn't keep my name to yourself, could you, oncie?"

"Psh, nah. I just had to prove that I wasn't a complete loner." He laughs. "He thinks I am."

Wow. What an ass.

You roll your eyes and sit up straight. "Thanks, I'm feelin' the love." You snort back. He chuckles into the speaker, and you can hear a few things moving around in the background. He was probably cooking.

"Hey, don't be like that! You know you're still being thought about." He teases back.

"Yeah, well . . I definitely miss you around here. 'Wish you'd come back sooner." You sink into your pillows, letting out a little sigh in turn.
Things just weren't the same without your best friend. Of course, it didn't help that you liked him. Maybe a bit more than you should have liked him, for someone who was supposed to be just your best friend.

It was kinda hard not to like him, though.
Onceler was fun, though sometimes a bit artless, but he knew how to make you laugh, and always put you in a good mood. Most nights, at his house, the two of you would sit by the fire in the backyard and he'd play his guitar.

Nobody really understood him like you did. And that's why he stuck around with you for so long, you were sure of it.

"I know, I'm sorry. But hey! Just think about all the money I'll be making once it really takes off!" He's grinning, you just know it.

You bite back the worry in your voice.
"I'm excited for you,"

It's not like it wasn't a good invention- - it was just . . different. His family shunned him for it, people laughed at him, and nobody really understood the purpose of a Thneed. It didn't really need to be brought into the world, you supposed.

"Thanks. It's gonna be great. But hey, listen. You really should come visit when you're free! It gets kinda lonely over here sometimes." Onceler says, "I mean, the Barbarloots are pretty good company, but they've been over staying their welcome." You can hear him bite back some annoyance in his tone.

You smile, nodding as if he could see you.
"Hell yeah, I'd be down." What was that feeling in your chest? Was that your heart pounding?

"I'll start packing tonight." You laugh.

A few pots and pans clang around on the other end of the phone, and you cringe a little.
"Wait— really? I'm not actually lonely, you don't have t—"

"Uh, duh, yea I do. I'll head out tomorrow, so you're not an outcast anymore." You sneer. There's a playful smirk on your face, but it's not like he could see it. "I know you miss my company." It was a little hard to hold back the flirting sometimes. Naturally, you were just good at it.

"That's a little harsh. I've been fine on my own. It's nice!" Onceler retorts. "It's just me and the Thneed. Can't get any better than that."

You know damn well that was a lie. Man's been alone for too long, most of his life, and there was no way he could avoid that lie any longer.

You smile, teasing him back. "Uhuh, yeah. You're loosin' it, twiggy."

"Alllright." He puts an end to that teasing, and huffs into the phone. "Just call when you're leaving. I'll give you the address."

You kick your feet up, body hanging halfway off of the bed again. "Okay."

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓
time skip
┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

When you got in the car to start your drive, you didn't expect it to have so many views. It was a long drive, a freaking troop, to get there.

You've heard stories as a kid about the Truffula Forest. It was known around most places, as the prettiest forest in the world. They say the scent of a tuft is sweeter than butterfly milk.

You can remember when you'd beg your mom to stay up and tell you all of the stories and fairytales of the one called the Lorax. A guardian of the forest, saver of trees. Endless tales of Swamee swans, and singing fish. Their harmonies would echo throughout the hills, and they'd swim through the crystal clear lakes.

  So when you remembered the stories, you imagined it being as beautiful as they all said it would be. But seeing it for yourself? You couldn't even explain how amazing the views were. The hills went on for miles. There was a sweetness in the air, and it was light and floral.
Creeks and rivers streamed through bright grass, and in them, the notorious fish, and above high, in the Truffula trees, were the Swamee swans.

Some Barbarloots laze around, while others, climb trees and avoid your vehicle. They peer down at you with curiosity, noses sniffing around your new scent.

You jumped out of the car with wide eyes, pep in your step.

This was it. The place of your dreams- - the spot you'd been longing for to see, hear, and smell. 

This was definitely the place.