The First Mission

The hollow winds and mountains of Eastern Europe knew nothing but cold. The white blanket with its invisible teeth that sank its icy grip into the hearts of those that dared to inhabit such desolate and unforgiving lands. The Westerners, those with their warm beds and spoils of war, knew nothing but comfort and riches. They grew fat off their processed foods and died long deaths from their smoke-filled cities and air. They poisoned themselves and called it freedom, called it progress.

It is not a surprise, thought he, that Marxism, communism, took such a strong root in this part of the world. The snow blanketed everything, caring not for the poor nor rich inhabitants. The snow provided insight into the unforgiving mind of Mother Nature. She cared not for how much money was offered to stave her anger. Her mercy was not bought and her rage was equal. The snow was equal and everyone thus equal beneath its wrath.

So why was it a surprise, especially to those Westerners, that communism sparked in the Eastern confines of Europe? Churchill called it the 'Iron Curtain' slowly making its way across the world, providing an elimination of the rich and poor, a concept so maliciously created by capitalism. Those who embraced communism, the preaches of Karl Marx and Stalin, had known indifferent equality their entire lives. Their ancestors had faced the unforgiving snow for generations, a force that bowed not to the rich and their piles of false money and lies. The snow had become so integral within their culture and traditions that communism was nothing more than an extension of it.

He stalked the outskirts of Kolochava, a desolate village that struggled to exist in the harsh winters of the Ukraine. The snow here was fierce, unrelenting on its mission to damn humanity back to the holes from which they had crawled out from the ground. The village itself would have remained indifferent to his gaze if it weren't for the few puffs of smoke that arose from makeshift chimneys under large impressions in the snow, suggesting that these were houses and not hills.

The target was rumoured to be staying in Kolochava, a small and unimportant town. They were a traitor to the cause, an unfaithful loose end that needed to be cut. The war had not ended, even if all the false Westerners and their leaders had signed those damn papers. He knew better anyway, they knew better. War was inevitable, humanity's desire to rip one another into pieces was part of their animal nature.

Wars led by the Westerners were never intended to create peace. They wanted to watch the East burn, they wanted to sink their teeth into the towns and countries that communism and equality had liberated and rain down capitalism, to tear apart the equality and allow the rich to rule with their bureaucratic nature.

But the war led by Hydra was not a war at all. It was a mission, a mission for peace. Even communism itself was flawed, he knew that. Hydra offered a different kind of peace, one in which all barriers would be eliminated, country, racial, social and economic would be rendered nonexistent. However, the war, the war to end all wars after the two bombs had dropped and silenced a terrified world, had taught Hydra that humanity needed to surrender themselves to this mission.

Humanity, like he knew, was always violent. However, it wasn't until the photos had surfaced from Nagasaki and Hiroshima, radioactive corpses of women and children charred to the bone, their mutilated forms forever scorched in their dying moments. Mothers holding their children as their jaws hung open in a silent scream as the radiation of the impact had ripped apart their flesh. The survivors with the cancer that rippled through their skin, large abnormalities that reminded the entire world of the silent killer that atomic warfare would bring.

Humanity was beginning to realise their devastation, their cruel internal nature. They knew that another war like the one that had brought about Hiroshima and Nagasaki would bring about atomic devastation on a scale undreamt of. Humanity for the first time had begun to recognise the mission that Hydra had been fighting for since the very beginning. That their precious Western freedoms of democracy and individualistic choice were fantasies. All humans resorted to chaos and self preservation. They needed a dominating force, a solid and unrelenting government that would serve for their own best interests. One world government to be exact, one that ruled without borders or national interest.