Prologue

"I am going to that school." Ellie stated strongly, not budging. She slammed the brochure on the table, the sharp sound resonating in the large dining hall.

"No." replied the king curtly and with a tone that suggested that this was the end of this conversation.

But Ellie being Ellie, she carried on, earnestly trying to convince her parents.

"I'm next in line to the Maravish throne, I think the teeny tiny decision of what school I go to is something I am capable of managing myself." she stated with an air of authority. "Besides, Kate goes there." She motioned to her sister sat across the room.

"Eleanor, the fact that you are the heir to the throne makes it more clear why you should go to Aston Court, like all the rulers of Maradova have." He explained, but seemed to leave no room for negotiation on Ellie's part.

"But I want to go to Rosewood Hall in England!" Ellie persisted, not backing down.

"We are quite fond of England, Alex." her mother, the Queen, chimed in, obviously on her daughter's side. "That is one of the reasons we approved Kate to go there."

"See?!" Ellie cut in. "Mum's agrees with me. Besides, how is it fair that you send my younger sister there and not me?"

"But that's different," the King argued. "Katherine actually goes to school because people know what she looks like. She takes her royal duties seriously. Unlike the unannounced heir to the throne, Eleanor." he said with a tone that suggested he was disappointed with his daughter.

Ellie sighed. She was that unannounced heir. If she went to School at Aston Court she would officially have to reveal herself to the public; no more years of freedom, no more sneaking out, no more fun. But if she went to Rosewood, she had a plan.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the table, Kate watched, a satisfaction creeping over her. Of course she wanted her sister to go to a school where she was happy, but on the other hand, Rosewood was her place. Her school. 

Ellie began explaining her ludicrous plan to the King and Queen. It was to go undercover at Rosewood, pretend to be a normal girl. Kate looked over to her father looking displeased as he listened to Ellie's idea. 

Feeling adventurous, Kate called over Jamie, Ellie's Partizan from the edge of the room. 

"Bet you 10 pounds he'll say no." she said, to Jamie whilst the other side of the room evolved into a dizzy argument between Ellie and the King and Queen.

Jamie, his face as serious as ever, shook his head at her, then returned to his post before the others in the room took any notice. Kate turned around in embarrassment, but knew Jamie was a serious Partizan, and placing bets with a princess wasn't part of his job. She couldn't help feeling a little sad though.

"At least read the brochure. Please." Ellie said, before exiting the room looking defeated.

The King and Queen preceded to continue their discussion, while Kate listened intently to find out her sister's fate. Their change in tone which contributed to the growing forebodings inside Kate, who was willing her father to say no, so she could have just another peaceful year at Rosewood. 

In the end it was decided. Ellie would go to Rosewood Hall.