one

"Miss Harlow, please get up," our maid Tessie begged.  

I rolled over, throwing a hand over my eyes. 

"Miss, your father has threatened to break down the door if you aren't ready in the next five minutes. Your sister is already almost ready."

I sighed, opening my eyes and glancing blearily at her. The older woman smiled almost sympathetically. 

Even she knew what today was. 

"Sorry, Tessie. Just give me a moment."

I sat up, brushing my pale brown hair over my shoulder. Tessie had moved over and was holding up my dress for the day. Still half asleep, I let her help me pull the pale blue dress on. She laced up the back, thankfully not as tight as some of my other ones, while I pinned my hair back and put on the matching blue sunhat. 

"Your bags are already down at the carriage, miss."

"Thank you, Tessie. Could I just have one more minute please?"

She nodded silently, moving out of the room. 

I sat down at the vanity and stared sadly at my reflection. I looked pretty, minus the deadened look in my blue eyes. I fished around in the drawer and pulled out my silver locket. Clicking it open, I stared for a few moments at the faded picture of my mother. 

"I miss you," I whispered.

Someone knocked on the door. I quickly slipped the locket on and tucked it into the front of my dress. 

"Yes?"

"Florence, we have to go!" My fifteen-year-old sister Amelie called through the thick wood. 

"I'm coming!"

I stood up and took a last glance around my childhood room, the heavy knowledge that I was probably never going to step back here again weighing on my chest.

I opened the door to see Amelie, looking excited, her blonde curls bouncing as she vibrated slightly. She looked striking in a floral dress, eyes sparkling at me.

"C'mon! Aren't you excited?"

I pressed my lips together.

"Of course I am, silly. Now let's go before Father has to come up."

She chattered excitedly about how exciting it was going to be to go all the way to Port Royal, and what if the boat has rats and how long was the trip again?

"Lia, breathe."

She paused as we got to the bottom of the stairs, both of us quieting immediately as our father appeared in front of us. 

"You're almost late."

"Almost, but not yet," I smiled at him.

He tried to look stern but broke into a warm smile as he gathered us in his arms. 

"I'm going to miss you both."

"We'll write to you lots, and you can come to visit!" Amelie chirps.

My father met my eyes for a brief moment, which we shared the understanding of what he couldn't say to Amelie. He wasn't going to visit.

"Of course, darling," he replied, kissing the top of her head. I kissed him on the cheek, swallowing the tears that were desperately trying to escape my eyes. 

"I love you, Father."

"I love you too Florence. More than you know."

He gave us each one last kiss, and then we descended the stairs to the awaiting carriage. Amelie climbed in first, making polite talk with the footman and driver, who both simply smiled at her antics. She was always a social butterfly, something finishing school hadn't quite squashed in her. 

I was quiet, contemplating the way it felt sort of like we were driving to the gallows. We weren't of course, simply to the trade ship that would take us to Port Royal, where I was getting married. 

Harlow trading company had been very successful when my father first started it, but now he was getting older and more and more companies were cropping up. One, in particular, owned by a certain Kenneth Thompson, had begun to take some of our newer customers. In an effort to save the business and for Mr Thompson to gain the reputation and foundation that Harlow had built, they'd decided to merge companies. 

The easiest way of ensuring that was for my father to marry off his eldest daughter. 

I understood when he told me that I was to become Mrs Thompson. I understood to protect Amelie and myself, I needed to get married, needed to protect the legacy he'd leave behind. 

Especially since my father was dying. 

He didn't tell Amelie, didn't want to make her worry. She just assumed the reason she was coming with me to Port Royal was because Father wanted her to find a suitable match and didn't want either of us to be lonely. 

That was partially true, but it was also so that we were together when he was gone and I had a secure marriage to protect us. 

All in all, it made sense, and I loved my father. I trusted that he was trying to do what was best for us, even though at seventeen it felt less like a wedding and more like a prison sentence. 

Amelie broke my train of thought as she shook my arm excitedly. 

"Look Florence, there it is!"

I followed her gaze to the port, where a formidable ship with Thompson Trading Company lettered on the side waited. 

I climbed carefully out of the carriage, shielding my eyes slightly against the sun. Amelie climbed out after me, smiling widely. To her, this was one big adventure, as neither of us had ever travelled by ship before. She was actually excited at the prospect of seeing pirates. 

I admired her innocence. 

Arm in arm, we climbed the ramp.

"Let me help you there, miss." A young boy probably a little younger than me reached over and helped Amelie onto the deck. He took my hand next and helped me step over. 

A taller man that bore a strong resemblance to the boy appeared behind him and clapped him on the shoulder. 

"Hello, there ladies. My name is Carson, this is my son Fletcher. I'm the captain of this ship, and I'm under very strict instructions from Mr Thompson to keep the precious cargo safe."

He winked at me, to which I replied with a tight-lipped smile.

"Thank you, sir."

"They've taken your bags down to your quarters already. I hope they're acceptable," he added. 

"I'm sure they'll be fine," I said.

"Our trip to Port Royal should be around twelve days, sea and gods willin'. Until then, welcome aboard the Alexandria."