Backup Plans

A/N:  Hello everyone!

First of all, a very important note about this oneshot collection:

You have to have already read Royal Screw-Ups to know what's going on.

There's gonna be RSU spoilers in here.

Just go read it and then come back if you haven't already, ok? Ok.

Moving right along...

This is a sophiana POV of the events of RSU that explains their story and some of the stuff that happened behind the scenes of the main story, I've been working on it for way too long so hopefully you'll like it!

Word count: 10.8k 

About: Sophiana royalty au, arranged marriage au

Content warnings: Arranged marriage talk, light descriptions of violence, swearing, talks of death 

Pairings: Sophiana, background keefex, slight background marelinh

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sophie was completely silent on the carriage ride to the capital. Actually, she had been completely silent to everyone but her parents for the last few days. 'Practice' she would write down for those who asked 'for my imminent future of being forced into silence forever,'

Needless to say, she wasn't taking this whole arranged marriage thing too well.

As she stared out the window, her dad spoke up.

"Kiddo, I'm really sorry about this whole thing. I promise we'll try to reason with him, but I don't know what we can do."

"I know, it's not your fault I'm a freak."

"Sophie!" Her mother chided. "I know you're upset, and you have every right to sulk as much as you want, but don't call yourself that."

"All I'm saying is that it's the only reason I'm getting chosen for this."

"Maybe so, but you still aren't a freak. You're extraordinary and no matter what they say you have to remember that. Ok?"

"Ok, Mom."

She went back to staring out the window, ignoring her parent's concerned faces.

~*~

A member of the royal guard led them into the king's throne room. They lowered themselves to their knees to show respect, but Sophie would rather spit in his face.

"You may rise."

They did.

"The prince will be here shortly."

Edaline did what most people wouldn't, talk back to a king.

"And then we may negotiate the marriage?"

"What is there to negotiate?" He wore a smile, tight and awkward, it sat unnaturally on his face.

"Much," Edaline wore no smile.

Just then, a blonde boy who looked like he wanted to be there about as much as Sophie did walked in.

"Keefe, this is Lord and Lady Ruewen and their daughter Sophie."

"A pleasure to meet you," The boy bowed, but it felt half-hearted somehow. "My apologies, but I was of the belief that you would not be visiting for nearly another week and a half?" He seemed to cringe at his own words.