Prologue

Full Summary: In which Nana is no civilian and no one from the Mafia-not even the Ninth-knows of the existence of one Sawada Tsunayoshi. Let alone his connection to the first Vongola Boss. But without Nono's Seal locking the boy's flames safely away, things take a drastic turn for the worse.

Thirteen year old Tsuna, haunted by a painful past, pushes everyone away and has all but forgotten how to smile. All the while, the wayward Hibari Kyoya fights to become stronger, invincible. Because he is destined to be on top of the food chain, or so he tells everyone. Though in truth, all the boy really cares about is protecting his Sky.

Warnings: Minor OC(s), major angst, YAOI though nothing too drastic, certain other stuff that I can't put here or it'd spoil the plot.

Disclaimer: If I owned KHR, 1827 would be canon. But I sadly don't. All rights go to Amano-sama.

~~~

AN: Hey guys!

I know this is definitely not a good time to be starting a new fanfic what with finals just round the corner and my two on-going stories that I haven't updated in ages. But this plot has been spinning in my head for about a week now and I just had to put it up.

~~~

When Matsuoka Nana, an Intelligence Agent for the Japanese SDF, had taken up the mission she had not intended to fall for her target. The mission itself had been simple enough-casually insert herself into her target's life, find out what the Japanese-Italian man's connection to the Mafia was and then quickly pull out. But of course, her being the hopeless romantic that she was, had to go and mess everything up by falling for Sawada Iemitsu. Yet she couldn't help but be relieved when she found that the man-whom she now knew was the recently appointed leader of the CEDEF and in turn the Vongola's External Adviser-had fallen for her just as deeply. Once all the secrets were spilt, arguments resolved and doubts cleared, only one question remained-what now?

One thing was crystal clear to the struggling couple; they had found their other halves and there was no way they would let each other go. So they decided the best step now was to get married in secret. Nana's distant cousin and childhood friend Yamamoto Tsuyoshi and his wife Miyoko were present as witnesses. The whole wedding was mostly a subdued affair, with everyone involved sworn to secrecy. A month and then another went by in relative peace, the Mafia under the impression that the Young Lion of Vongola was on a much needed vacation in the States and Nana's colleagues thinking she was still digging for clues. Then all of a sudden, Nana started acting strangely. A week and a positive pregnancy test later, the young couple were celebrating the coming arrival of another addition to their little family. But a few weeks later, their luck seemed to have run out.

When his phone rang in the middle of the night, Iemitsu felt a sense of dread and knew intuitively that this call would mark the inevitable end of their peaceful days. The call itself didn't last long but it had only taken two words to upturn the Mafiosi's world-Enrico's dead. The would-be heir of Vongola and Nono's eldest son was dead. With Xanxus having no blood relation to Vongola whatsoever, that only left three possible candidates for the position; Massimo, Federico and his unborn child. Just the thought of the uproar his child's involvement could cause at this point made Iemitsu sigh in frustration. He would have to leave soon, there were important decisions to be made. With that thought in mind, Iemitsu woke his wife.

A week later, Nana returned to H.Q. with a file full of evidence and he resignation letter. The young woman then packed up and moved to the small town of Namimori where her cousin and his family presided, where she could start anew. Her husband, she told everyone, had died in car crash. And that was that. No one even thought for a fleeting moment to doubt the words of the kind, compassionate soon-to-be mother. They had no reason to. Meanwhile, on the other side of the world, Sawada Iemitsu returned to Italy without incident. To the Mafia world, he was just returning early from his vacation due to a crisis in the Famiglia. His slightly antsy attitude could be easily explained by him being stressed due to the previous Heir's death. No one even wondered whether it may be something else that was bothering the CEDEF Boss. They had no reason to.

And so the Mafia remained blissfully unaware of the one that was fated to change their world. Months later, Sawada Nana gave birth to her twin sons, hoping beyond hope that her and her husband had made the right choice. The poor brunette had not an idea of what hardships lay in wait for her boys. For now though, Sawada Tsunayoshi and Sawada Yoshimitsu slept peacefully by their mother's side. Right there and then, everything was okay.

~~~

For anyone who's wondering-this is NOT a twin fic. In fact, Tsuna's brother, while crucial to the plot, will not be appearing in the fic for more than a couple instances. You'll understand why soon enough.

Let me know what you guys think of it so far. Remember, comments motivate me to update quicker.

Till next time!

-Jahnvi