𝐗𝐈𝐗 - 𝐍𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐒𝐩𝐚𝐜𝐞 & 𝐎𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐲

***

Now that you're out of my life, I'm so much better
You thought that I'd be weak without you, but I'm stronger
You thought that I'd be broke without you, but I'm richer
You thought that I'd be sad without you, I laugh harder

***

April 5th, '01
Twiggy

I was runnin' some numbers through my head when Maji's complainin' ass started up again and made me lose track.

"Nah, cuz iss really dumb hot in here, ya just be wantin me to melt," she groaned, shovin' Heidi, who gave her a stank face, away from her.

"I wish you would push me again," Heidi mumbled under her breath.

Maji side eyed her before chuckling in her condescending way, talkin bout some, "Don't try me in this heat, Hey-die."

"Iss Hi-dee," Heidi corrected her for the third time today.

"Iss what I say it is," Maji snapped at her, sittin' up like she was finna step.

Chris and Jada, who were runnin' through vocal riffs, turned around to see if shit was gonna pop off.

"Aye, I look like a babysitter to you niggas?," I cut in, the heat getting the best of me. It wasn't right for these motherfuckas to be on 10, every second, just stressin' a nigga out like this.

Maji turned her head around every which way, like she didn't think I was talkin' to her. I liked her, but she was hell to work with; everything was such a power struggle wit her little self. Still, she wasn't as bad as Yana had led me to believe.

"Maji, imma kick you to the curb, dawg, don't play wit me," I hit back at her finally, closing my notebook.

Currently, Chris, Jada, Maji, Heidi and myself were all sweatin' in Salaam's hot ass basement where he had a makeshift studio setup. It was a Friday, after school for the youngins and our second "prep" session. We'd only spent about 2 hours so far in his spot today and I could already tell I was gonna regret recruiting Maji n' em.

Maji, we've established was mean, but so was her work ethic, which I could only respect. She was progressively getting better with everything she dipped her toes in, but also worked best alone and had a competitive streak.

Heidi was quiet, in a weak kinda way. I mean, even Maji had sensed it and picked at it to shut her up, even though Heidi was 3 years older than her. I didn't mind that she was quiet, but her lack of presence and personality needed an upgrade.

On the other hand, her pen game was A1, which I suspected was another reason Maji fucked wit her. The competition between the two was productive though; both girls were consistently pumpin' songs out to impress.

Chris was a badass kid, or as Salaam pointed out, Maji's male counterpart. He had a mouth on him, he was cockier than a muhfucka, and tried me all around. He was also the kind of kid you'd say was "a product of his environment", with his language and mannerisms. 

For sure, he needed finessin', but when it came to his vocals and performance, he practiced every second, or at least when he wasn't flirting with the girls, especially Heidi.

Jada couldn't write a song to save her life which was why God gave her the voice and rhythm she had. She had one of the stronger personalities, sunny and sassy, but in an admirable way. She could get thrown in front of a camera and know just what to say, how to smile, where to look, so she didn't need Charm School 101 the way Maji, Chris, and Heidi did, and in that order.