[4] Caught in Action

"Let's talk in the courtyard just outside the Headquarters. Come with me."

'so, this is the beginning of Kaeya's story quest'

Kaeya led you to the courtyard. "This place will do."

"Tell us what it's about already!" Paimon says.

"How should I begin... Oh, right, let me tell you a secret first." Kaeya hushes. "It's a secret of my past, and I confide in you to keep it."

"Don't worry, our lips are sealed." you reply.

"As a matter of fact, my grandfather was a pirate!" He says proudly.

You and Paimon share a glance before saying. "Oh."

'Oh, so this is where we're heading. This is Kaeya's story quest, and he would proceed to lie to the traveler in order to capture a criminal at the end.' you recall in memory.

"...Wait. Why do you sound so blithe? Do you think I'm making it up?" The blunette points to his eyepatch. "Look at my eyepatch! I inherited this from my grandfather and this is solid proof we are related by blood!"

"I never knew you could inherit eyepatches." you bit back a tone.

"My! (Y/n), how could you not know such common knowledge? This is no different from children inheriting hairstyles from their parents!"

"That's... not how it works." you sigh before properly looking at him. "Anyway, what did you truly want to talk about?"

"Yesterday I was glancing through the notes my grandfather left and stumbled upon records that spoke of a treasure..."

"Treasure!?" Paimon exclaims.

"According to his notes, the treasure is buried within the 'Lost Arcadian Ruins'." Kaeya continues.

"Treasure..."

"But the location of the ruins is unknown, I've tried searching for clues..."

"Treasure!" Paimon shouts excitedly. "Kaeya, what kind of treasure is it? Gold? Or better yet, gems!?"

You silently gestured to Paimon to tone down the gold-loving attitude but she didn't notice.

"Hmph! Treasures that consist of nothing but golds and gems are third-rate treasures.." Kaeya states. "My grandfather's treasure is a sword. A magic sword that grants the yielder unrivaled power!"

"Oh wowwww!" your companion gushes.

You lightly place your hand on your forehead. 'She's really falling for it..'

"The sword was dropped from Celestia into the sea by a god. It was later salvaged by my grandfather's crew by pure coincidence."

'Emphasis on the pure coincidence.' you think

"The moment he gripped the sword, thunder roared, billows howled, and the clear skies were suddenly swallowed by raging winds..."

Kaeya continued to emphasize the strength of the sword, even going as far as saying his grandfather went on to defeat a hydra, a silver-haired banshee, a wicked abyss dragon.

"But the immense power of the sword enticed many more greedy pirates. To avoid meaningless conflicts, my grandfather hid the magic sword."

"Eight-headed hydras, silver-haired banshees... Do they really exist?" you ask.

"The world we live in is fascinating, full of unknown and inexplicable wonders." he responds.

'Hm. He has a point. This world is filled with Gods and literal elemental powers. Almost nothing is impossible in here.' you think. 'Still, how did he think of this backstory on the spot?'