Anchor

Not my characters I dont own them. They are not mine. This is just for pleasure of reading. Everything belongs to Shonda Rhimes.

Cormac Hayes walked into Meredith Grey's room for the legion amount of time. Whenever he wasn't on the peds floor or talking to his boys he was checking up on her.

He saw Teddy leave the room and quickly snuck in. No one would understand why he was aways in there and therefore tried to go in and sit with her when no one else was around.

No one knew about their 'whiskey dates' in the evening or that the two were quite close. Bonding over their kids and their late spouses. Or how both their kids played soccer or what the 'Hayes' family called futból.

Then he found her passed out in the parking lot pavement. He felt his heart stop. Just for a moment and then he reacted, rushing over to her and checking for a pulse. He called for help and then she was taken to the COVID ward after testing positive. That was almost three weeks ago.

Now he walks into her room and shuts the door behind him.  The monitor beeping softly in the background. He walked over to her and fixed the IV that was connected to her arm.

"Your kids call every day on video chat. Don't know if you can hear them. Don't even know if you can hear me." he sighs sitting down.

"There's a million things, I can't control"

"Maybe..maybe it's none of my business, Grey, but I'm begging you. Fight." He didn't want to plead. He wasn't a begger. Not since Abigail anyway. But Meredith was different.

"There is one thing that I know"

"They need you, Grey." he says.

"The little one.." he starts a conversation even though he knows she can't respond with a tube down her throat.

"Tides will change, the sea can't help it."

"She looks just like you." he smiles. "Shes got all your expressions." he chuckles. "She doesn't smile as easy or as often, but when she does, sweet Jesus, it lights up the room." Oh God how he wished he could see her smile again.

"You should have seen it, " he laughs "she smiles and she smiles, and it gets bigger and bigger until.." he snaps his fingers. "Boom! She bursts out laughing."

"Then her brother gets annoyed because she's laughing so hard right in his ear. And then the oldest one comes in and she takes the tablet and says they're hogging it and that she needs time with you too because she's the oldest and she's your favorite." He sighs laughing. He puts his head in his hands and shakes his head. If only she had seen it. They were being hilarious.

"Nothing is forever when it feels like I'm in constant motion."

"Then I hear a click and a lock but we're in darkness. Can't tell who has it cause' I can't see a face." he shakes his head.

"But then I hear a voice, and it's the oldest one." he gleams slightly.

"You're my anchor in the ocean."

"And she's just sitting in the dark." he smiled.

"And she says, "I'm really sorry, Mum. Didn't mean for things to get so violent. Ellis can be truly infuriating." he chuckles.