Fussy Baby

The cries of the baby echoed throughout South Downs.

Aziraphale was awake instantly, "Crowley! It's the baby, please go get her!"

"Mnnnnh!" Crowley moaned. This was the third night in a row.

Crowley's tired eyes flicked to the digital clock on the dresser. It was midnight.

Eden's crying rose in pitch as Aziraphale pleaded, "Crowley please hurry! She needs me..."

"I'm goin' angel; don't try to get up..." Crowley replied as he darted out of the room and headed straight to the nursery.

Crowley finally reached the nursery and was greeted by the sight of Madame Tracey trying to soothe the crying baby. Crowley shot her an apologetic smile as she handed him the now silent baby. She calmed down the second he entered the nursery.

"I checked her nappie, it's dry and as you saw, my cuddles didn't work. I think you got it from here." She said as she stroked Eden's fuzzy head.

"Yeah, thanks Tracey, I better get back before Aziraphale tries to get up again." Crowley said, this time shooting her a grateful smile as he left the nursery.

"How is she? Is she alright?" Aziraphale demanded when Crowley entered the room with little Eden.

"She's fine angel, her nappie is dry, she must be getting hungry." Her first feeding was going to be....ugh he was so tired he'd forgotten but he was pretty sure it wasn't too far off anyway.

"Oh my poor Little One, come here love..." Aziraphale murmured as Crowley placed Eden into his waiting arms. Aziraphale offered to nurse her, but Eden wasn't hungry. It seemed she just wanted cuddles. Aziraphale was more than happy to oblige.

"I think it was much too soon to move you into the nursery Eden." Aziraphale said to the infant who was sucking her tiny thumb.

"Tracey says that the sooner we get her used to the crib the better!" Crowley murmured, his face buried into his pillow.

"Maybe just a couple more nights with the bassinet dear?" Aziraphale asked hopefully.

"Angel we talked about this..."

"I know...it's just...she's just so far away..."

"She's in the room next to us, I check on her even when she isn't this fussy." It was true, that was why he was so tired.

"How about until she falls asleep", Aziraphale looked at Crowley imploringly.

"Okay angel." Crowley replied with a tired smile as he scooted closer to Aziraphale and stroked Eden's soft face with a gentle finger.

"Already giving me hell and you're not even a week old. That's my girl." He said, beaming with pride.

An hour and a half later Eden finally drifted to sleep in her Papa's arms and Crowley scooped her up to take her back to her nursery.

Aziraphale made sure that Crowley saw his saddest and most dramatic puppy dog eyes as he carried the baby out of the room.

Damn angel was lucky he was so damn cute, Crowley thought to himself as he walked down the hallway and into the nursery. He would make it up to Aziraphale, he was with Tracey on this one.

He wanted Eden to sleep under the stars for as long as possible.

He placed the sleeping bundle back in her crib, gave her a kiss and made sure her favorite plush toy, Ducky, a gift from Tracey was within her reach and returned to his and his husband's bedroom.

He was relieved to find Aziraphale lying back down as he crawled back under the welcoming blankets.

"Did you make sure Ducky was close to her?" Aziraphale asked.

"Yes angel."

"Did she wake up again?"

"No angel." Aziraphale let out a relieved sigh as Crowley leaned forward and they shared a kiss.

"Goodnight angel."

"Goodnight Crowley."

South Downs was finally quiet again.