Chapter 1

__- D̷̡͚͓̼̬̰͉͔̳͚́́̎̉̇͠e̸͇̺̤̲͇̞̘̫̜̾̈̅̀̃̏̕n̸̡̼̗̬͂̃̉̀̿̓į̷̗̥͖̘̹̗̬̈͑̐̊̓̍a̸̱͋̀̇́̔͂̾̚l̵̛̼̇̿͆͂͆̔̽̏ -__

With each expedition, scouts get sent to their inevitable deaths.

One. Two. Three.

They all fall like flightless birds.

Four. Five. Six.

They squirm in the grasp of their captor.

Seven. Eight. Nine.

The agonizing screams for help.

Having seen this more than once should make one get used to it, shrug it off like it's an everyday thing. After all, they're the ones who signed up for the job knowing the consequences.

But some people can't leave their past nor comrades behind.

The terrifying cries for help, the sound of raw meat being ingested, the growls and moans coming from those spine-chilling beasts. Their big contorted faces, bulging human-like eyes, and those unnerving smiles. All their deaths are like blurred images that one could only think of as a surreal experience, something from a fantasy novel, or beings from a horror book.

One can only hold onto those who have died dear, and carry on their story knowing well that someday they too will face a horrifying death, just like their fallen comrades.
.
.
.
A figure sat still at the edge of a building, their (h/l) (h/c) hair flowing gently with the soft breeze as they stared at the walls from afar with a blank look on their face.

How could anyone move on? Were the deaths of all their fallen comrades worth nothing to them? Is this how they're supposed to live with themselves?
"Humans are disgusting." She snarled under her breath, looking up at the sun setting behind the walls as her frown grew. The shadows from the trees seemed to grow with each passing minute as the sun was lowering, the swift breeze getting colder, replacing the once warm blanket that covered the land by day.

"How many more people will die? When will we ever be free?.... What even is freedom?" Shivering, she held her face as she tried stopping the flow of newfound tears that prickled at the corner of her dulled (e/c) eyes.

"Are our deaths worth anything for humanity?" She choked as the tears betrayed her body and began trickling down her rosy cheeks, her sobs grew as flashes of her fallen comrades began appearing in her head.

"Indeed they are." A deep voice echoed in the silent space the woman had created for herself. "It helps us get closer to finding out what truly lies just beyond these walls." Flinching, the woman turned around almost instantly to face the person that found her.

Standing behind her was a tall built man, his pale blue eyes piercing right through her small frame. He took a step forward making her shift in her position while awkwardly looking around the roof.

"I'm sure you know the reason why you chose to be a part of the scouting legion." He spoke again, his voice ever so loud and deep. His eyes never once left sight from the cadet in front of him, as if trying to analyze and predict all of her movements.

The woman under his gaze only glared at the ground as she balled her fists, "Of course I do, what kind of stupid question is that?" She spat at the man behind her, his facial expression never changing.