Kiss at Midnight || Nelena One Shot

10:00 pm, December 31, 2012 || Two hours until Midnight

            Selena sat on the velvet red couch, wine glass in hand as she nodded her head to the music. She watched the dance floor, more importantly her best friend and her boss grinding close together. She giggled, knowing her best friend was going to have a cow once she founds out the following morning, work was going to be pretty funny this upcoming Wednesday.  With people dancing, and the place was pretty packed, Selena found herself taking off her jacket as the heat rose.           

            She placed her red lips against the glass, taking a sip of her drink. Selena was never the partying type, she much rather preferred sitting at home. On the other hand, her best friend was the complete opposite, she’s was wild and loved to party and drink. But Selena loved her anyways. Pressure on the sit beside her caused her to snap out of her trance.

          “Hello there, I’m Jared. “ The guy introduced himself as she put out his hand. Selena shook it out of politeness but she sighed deeply to herself. This was like the fifth guy that has talked to her tonight. Jared continued the conversation, as she sat looking at the clock.

11:00 pm, December 31, 2012 || One hour until Midnight

            Selena tipped back the bottle as red liquid filled her cup for the fourth time that night. Jared had left her alone a couple of minutes ago. Finally giving her some peace and quiet…well as quiet as a New Year’s party can get. Selena brought the glass to her lips once more, before her eyes followed the opening door, as two guys entered. She quickly gulped down her drink once she noticed who the guys were that had just entered the room, one of them being her High school sweetheart and the other his brother.

            The name still rang fresh in her mind, ‘Nick Jonas’. Her eyes looked him over; unlike the others from her school he actually looked better than in high school. He once had long brown curls that reached his eyes, now cutting off at his upper forehead. He wore a white dress shirt, his muscles pressed tightly against the white fabric. He wore dark blue jeans and some nice dress shoes. Her gaze returned to his face, that’s when she realized he was looking at her also. Her cheeks blushed a light red as she quickly looked down at her heels.

            ‘Calm down Selena, maybe he’s looking past you’ Selena thought to herself, but that idea quickly got shot down as Nick made his way towards her. She rapidly downed the rest of her drink as he enclosed the space between them. “Selena. It’s so good to see you again” Nick commented mostly to himself. “Nick…” She whispered it was so nice to hear his voice once again.

11:45 pm, December 31, 2012 || Fifteen minutes until Midnight

            Nick followed Selena out onto the balcony as they continued their conversation. Bringing up laughable situations and old memories. “Remember when Principal Emmons caught us sneaking back into school!” Selena announced as she sat on the edge of the balcony stand. “Oh yeah, we ended up with detention the rest of the week, but it was totally worth it our lunch is horrible. That McDonalds never tasted so good!” Nick chuckled as he thought back to them getting caught. Selena laughed along with him, as she smiled over at him.                

            Once they both quieted down, silence filled the air. “Hey Sel, can I ask you question?” Nick asked looking up at the moon, before looking back at her. Her breathe got caught in her throat, everything all of a sudden become serious, and Selena had a feeling what this question was. “Sure...” She replied, keeping her eyes on his. “I don’t understand...I mean everything was going perfect between us…why all of a sudden did you break up with me?” Nick finally popped out the question, their eyes still locked on each other.

           “Nick…” Selena stuttered, not knowing what to say. “Selena…I have to know” Nick whispered, scooting closer to her.“You had everything planned out Nick!” Selena blurted out, as she finally broke eye contact; she focused her eyes on her heels once again. “What?” Nick asked confused. “You had good grades, a scholarship for football, supportive parents; everything was going great for you…expect for me. You didn’t want to go live your dream because of me!” Selena explained, tears threating to leave her eyes.  

          People inside started to count down along with the television as the last ten seconds before the new year kicked in. Everyone got with their partners, ready to give them their midnight kiss. Nick cupped Selena’s face and he whispered softly to her “But Selena…you were my dream.”

‘7!’

‘6!’

‘5!’

‘4!’

‘3!'

‘2!’

‘1!!!’

12:00 am, January 1, 2013 || Midnight

            And then Nick kissed her. Everything around them seemed to disappear, the shouting, the fireworks, everything. Like they were the only two in the world, and it was magical. The kiss was soft, yet full of passion. They both pulled away, smiling at each other.  Both glad that they were each other’s kiss at Midnight.