[20] ᴛᴏxɪᴄ - ᴘᴀʀᴛ 3

Note: this part is long, which is fitting because it's the finale of the Toxic series! I hope you guys enjoy it and find it to be satisfying and worth the wait, love yall and enjoy the show lol

"Congratulations."

*****

"YES! YES! YES!"

I blushed as we watched the video of Karl's proposal on the big screen and I saw myself leaping into his arms. He picked me up and twirled me around, just like how he did when he first told me he liked me, and it brought the familiar butterflies back to my stomach. I tried hiding my bashful smile as Karl wrapped his arm around me and clinked our glasses of bubbling champagne together.

The video ended and everyone applauded as they started dispersing around the dining room floor. The guests for Karl and I's engagement party included family and friends, some of whom were celebrating over a Zoom call displayed on the TV.

I stood there talking to an aunt when a voice I hadn't heard in over a year murmured behind me.

"Congratulations."

I turned and tried to maintain my composure as I was faced with the familiar beanie boy standing there, holding a glass of champagne and with his other hand awkwardly in his pocket. He looked ashamed and almost as if he didn't belong here. And if I'm being honest...

He didn't.

"What are you doing here?" I tried not to let him ruin my happiness, but it was hard hiding the annoyance and surprise in my voice.

"Karl invited me," Right... Despite Alex breaking my heart and that whole... incident... that happened, I couldn't find it within myself to tell Karl. If I did, it would crush him and ruin their friendship. I knew Karl loved Alex too much and he would hate living without him. So, I never told him. I just avoided talking to Alex whenever they called or played games.

"Look, Y/n, I-I hate this whole 'not talking thing. I hate that our friendship is over. I hate that I missed out on a whole year of you being happy... all because I was selfish... Please? Can we... try and be friends again?"

I took in a shaky breath and looked into his big doe eyes. Those eyes, even before I acknowledged that I had feelings for him, could break me and turn me into putty in that boy's hands. I looked him up and down at his sorry figure. I hate to admit it, but I missed him too.

We were so close before everything happened and sometimes, I found myself needing someone to talk to if I ever had a stupid fight with Karl, and Alex was the only person I found myself wanting to talk to. We told each other almost everything and whenever we talked, the world seemed to stand still and calm, like a pond with no ripples. I missed him.

"Okay..."

"Okay?"

"Okay." The light seemed to sparkle in his eyes as his smile grew and he lunged forward. He stopped himself though. With a scratch of the back of his neck, the awkward moment passed and I found myself getting dragged away by my best friends, eagerly throwing wedding plans at me.

This was going to be my life for the next few months.

*****

"IT'S A LIGHT IVORY!"

"NO, IT'S WHITE!"

"THE SHADE IS CALLED 'Light Ivory,'"

"THE SHADE IS CAUCASIAN-"

"Y/N!"

After the eight most stressful months of my life, it was finally time for all this planning to be worth something.