thirty three.

ALICE GASPS, DROPPING the book she held in her delicate hands

Images of the deer and Jordyn hitting the pole flash through her mind like an unwinding tape before they end, leaving Alice in the dark.

Jordyns future is completely gone, meaning only one thing.

Everyone turns their attention towards the seer, stopping whatever they were doing.

Edwards mouth drops and he furrows his eyebrows once he gets a glimpse of what Alice's vision was.

"What is it?" Bella asks frantically, her ruby eyes darting from Alice to Edward.

"Jordyn." Is all Alice says.

Bella puts Renesmee down and darts over to Alice, placing her arms on Alice's dainty shoulders, "What is it?" Bella repeats, her voice growing higher with hysteria.

"She crashed— we have to go." Alice shifts her body, snapping back to reality.

Bella is already taking off, following Jordyns scent.

Edward, Alice, and Carlisle follow behind her through the front door.

They breeze through the forest, Bella leads ahead of them all, her newborn speed helping her greatly.

The closer they inch towards the highway, the more blood and the scent of burning plastic they smell.

They eventually break through the trees, Bella staggers at the sight lying in front of her.

Jordyn lies on the ground in front of her car, which is smashed against a pole. Blood gushes down her face and onto the slick road, glass sticks out of her skin and shines in her bloodied hair.

She can hear muffled talking but cannot open her eyes, she tries to move but it feels as if though something is keeping her pressed into the ground.

She begins panicking inwardly, but it stops as soon as it started because blackness eventually encroaches on her blurry vision and she blacks out.

Carlisle kneels besides her, checking her pulse and wounds.

"Her heart rate is dropping," Carlisle says, wiping the blood from her face, "shes lost a lot of blood."

"Can't we take her to a hospital?" Bella says frantically, trying not to breathe in the scent of blood.

Carlisle shakes his head, "She won't make it. We have to change her." He lifts her from the ground.

Bella sighs, "She doesn't want that."

"If we let her die—Caius would kill us without a doubt." Edward squeezes Bella's hand. "And, I think Jordyn would rather live as a vampire than not live at all.

Bella nods, though she truly doesn't give a shit about Caius, all she worries about is her sister. The couple trek behind Carlisle, leaving the messy scene.

Carlisle immediately brings Jordyn to his office when they get back, Bella is still right behind him.

Carlisle places her down on the hospital bed that has yet to be cleaned up. He checks her pulse one last time.

"She's getting weaker." He stated.

Bella sighs, "Do we tell Caius?" Bella knows her transformation is unavoidable, and understands that Caius would definitely prefer to know about his soulmates drastic change.

Carlisle pauses, thinking.

"No."

Then he bites down on her wrist, releasing his venom into her veins.

***

THE FIRE HAD STARTED at Jordyns toes, at first it felt nice, warm, but then it got worse.

It now feels like shes swimming through lava or acid—or, maybe both,

She can hear herself screaming, though she cannot open her eyes.

The only thing she remembers was the pole she collided with.

Shes pretty certain she died and has been sent to the fiery pits of hell.

It seems entirely plausible, the burning, the painful memories...

Though, death wasn't supposed to be this bad, isn't it supposed to be peaceful?

She starts thinking about Bella, her dad, and Caius. How would they all react? Bella lost her sister, Charlie lost two daughters, and Caius lost his soulmate.

All her thoughts fade away as the burning intensifies, it just continues to grow hotter and hotter. Her screams only seem to grow louder.

Bella sits by her side the entire time, only leaving to spend time with Renesmee for a few hours.

It takes four days for Jordyns heart to stop beating, and two hours for her to wake up after her heartbeat had faded away.

edited: 11/22/22