chapter eight.

CHAPTER EIGHT:ISLA CARTERS

CHAPTER EIGHT:
ISLA CARTERS.

⋅ ∙ ∘ ☽ ༓ ☾ ∘ ⋅ ⋅

BROOKLYN, NEW YORK was one of Birdie's favorite places to visit. She didn't get the chance to travel to New York very often with most monsters staying within the midwest region, but she usually enjoyed it whenever a case brought her to the East Coast——even if she left still while covered in blood and guts from a bloodthirsty monster that she'd killed.

It'd been quite some time since she was last in New York. With so much going on and Dean's time coming closer to an end, she was trying to spend as much time with him as she could (and also help Sam try to find a way to save the oldest Winchester). But when the opportunity struck for her to get just a couple days to herself without having to hunt down a monster, she decided to head to New York for a few hours. The sun beat down on her, causing a small smile to grace her lips as she took in the views like she was visiting for the first time.

While some people would've preferred Manhattan over Brooklyn, or even New York City, Birdie wasn't one of them. In fact, she'd only been to Manhattan and New York City once or twice in her twenty three years of life.

Her father was the one who introduced her to Brooklyn. He brought her there when Serena went on a Wraith hunt somewhere in Louisiana with a fellow hunter which left them a chance to get away from both hunting and Serena for a few days. Birdie's eleventh birthday was only a few days away at the time, and Reese saw it as a chance to celebrate and have some fun with his daughter her special day.

He took her all over the dazzling city with neither of them even thinking about monsters. He showed her dozens of parks where she was able to run free and enjoy the things she hadn't gotten to experience yet. They didn't have much money even with fake credit cards, but Reese bought her as many pieces of clothing and toys, almost unable to fit it all in her suitcase. They both promised not to tell Serena about the shopping spree, knowing that she wouldn't have liked them spending money on clothes when Birdie "had enough", as Serena said the last time Birdie asked for just a few new pieces of clothing to replace the ones that were becoming worn and torn. They went out to eat every day, more than happy to have something other than gas station food that was always two days old at the least.

But, Reese made sure to save the best place for last on her actual birthday——an ice cream shop called Halcyon Swirl where they had every ice cream flavor imaginable and over 100 kinds of delicious toppings. That was years ago though and Birdie hadn't gone back there since Reese died.

However, when she saw the shop was still open as she wandered down the crowded sidewalk, she decided to head inside.

It looked the exact same as it did all those years ago, the tall walls painted in stripes with every color of the rainbow. Vibrant drawings made by hundreds of children were pinned to a wall that stretched across the entire width of the shop, some starting to creep onto the other wall as more and more kids added their drawings.