Under the sky of Damascus

Do you know that type of story whose happy ending fills your heart with joy? The one which is about true love, happiness, and peace? Well, the story of my life is the exact opposite. This one is different because it shows how cruel society is and how everyone needs to do anything to survive. It shows the reality we're living. Over time, I've learned that sometimes, you can trust your 'enemies' more than your 'allies'. Humans always had to make significant sacrifices for their causes.

       I'm Assiya Maroun and even if my name's meaning is "cure", I consider myself more of a poison. As well as you've probably figured out, I'm an Arabic girl, and I am from Syria. Damascus is the city where I had the most beautiful time of my life, being surrounded by amazing people and wonderful places. My parents, Ahmid and Jamila, always tried to offer me the best they could to live a perfect life. They were working at a carpet market, so they didn't earn much money. I have nice memories of my childhood when everything was so simple and kind. A true fairy tale. For example, after school, my friends and I always used to play in the crowded bazaar. We loved to stare at the merchants. It was fascinating how they could convince almost anyone to buy their stuff so, for a while, I thought they were using magic.

      (Maybe they actually were, who knows)

       Fahima was my neighbor since I was born, but she was more than that. She was my best friend, my soul sister, my other half. We shared everything and our families were very close. Damascus was wonderful at night, so we loved to snick out and walk through the quiet streets to watch the stars. My grandma was always telling me that if I see a falling star it means someone I love will die and his soul will be trapped between the two worlds, forever.

       Someday, a long time ago, we were standing on a colorful carpet on the top of a high hill, enjoying the view of the lighted city.

       "Assyia, who do you trust the most in this world?" Fahima asked me.

        "My family and yours, it's obvious. Why?

       "Just wanted to know. I-"

       "ASSYIA! FAHIMA! How many times do I have to tell you to stay at home when the sun goes down? It's dangerous for the girls to walk alone on these streets."

       It was my father, as usual. He always took care of us because he knew a lot of dark things that were happening in this city. I realized too late that the place which I liked to call "Paradise" will become my hell...
       In the morning, my parents were early awake, a strange thing because usually, I was the one who prepared breakfast for them. Something was going on so, when I looked through the window, I saw my father talking to a young man. They were very angry and yelling at each other. Mum was frightened. I didn't hear them well, but I could hear my dad's last words: "You don't deserve her and you will not marry her, you traitor. She's only nine. A child!". I was confused because I was just a kid and the things that were happening were so overwhelming.

 I was confused because I was just a kid and the things that were happening were so overwhelming