prologue

new world

new world

LAYING on your back, staring up at the ceiling, you, y/n l/n, otherwise known as 'Xenas', drowned in nothingness. You had infinite amounts of energy, yet no motivation to get up and do anything. You wanted to do something to cure the boredom, yet all you wanted was to lay there and do nothing. You felt so disconnected with the space around you, yet you were all too connected.

You were living in Wammy's House, or the orphanage for overly intelligent kids in Winchester, London. What the organisation did was raise the chosen children and nurture their minds in order to make one of them the successor of the current top detective. At this time, it was a man known as 'L'. The current caretaker, Roger Ruvie, was meant to ensure that this task was fulfilled. After all, man did not live forever – everyone was replaced eventually, L included. The current top contenders for the successor were the ones known as Mello, Near, and you, Xenas.

Mello was determined to become the successor, as all he ever wanted to do was definitively beat you and Near. Near was nowhere near as aggressive as Mello, and merely wanted to become a successor to impress L. L was his idol, and he knew that he was smart enough to get to the top. Though, if he lost to Mello, he would not care as much as Mello would if he lost to Near. You cared the least out of all three.

All that you wanted to do was live. You merely tested, ate, slept, and then did nothing for the remainder of the day – everyday. You wanted to be a part of the outside world and live for yourself, not for Wammy's House or for those who only wanted you for your mental capabilities.

It was due to that reason that you did nothing – that you sat in your room doing nothing constantly. No matter how much Roger tried to get you to go and interact or do something productive, it was to no avail.

You seemed like an empty shell.

When you first arrived at the house, you were somewhat outgoing, but as time passed, you became more and more distant. In both mentality and physicality, you were far from the other children.

"Xenas, may I come in?" Once again, Roger was at the door.

Taking your lack of opposition as a yes, he slowly opened the door and walked in. There you were, laying on the bed once again, doing nothing but looking up into the void, otherwise known as your ceiling.

"Don't you want to go out and play with the other kids?" Even then, there was no response.

All you did was simply continue to stare at the ceiling. With a sigh, he walked over to you and sat down on the edge of your bed.

"We're all going to the park, and you're going to come with us. Be frustrated with me if you please, but you need to get out of your room. Be ready in half an hour."