thirty eight.

JORDYN FROWNS AT the paper that sat on her lap; specifically at the figure drawn on it

She lightly traces the outline of his face, a sudden wave of emotions hitting her.

She misses Caius, but is immensely upset with him; a strange mix of emotions.

She hasn't really had much time to think about him and his anger towards her, but now she does.

She scribbles the drawing out and pushes the notepad onto the floor.

Maybe, just maybe, if he had listened to her, let her explain what she needed to explain, there wouldn't be a literal war hanging in the balance, but, instead, he chose to ignore and insult her.

The anger ultimately overpowers the void in her dead heart that his absence left.

Its strange how only a few days ago the two were fine, and a few days before that, Jordyn had returned the 'I love you'.

But the Rensmee situation had ruined that, Caius and Jordyn will now be going against each other.

Jordyn knows if it even comes down to it, she won't be able to kill him —she winces at the thought—Hell, she won't even be able to hurt him.

But she may have to, for her family and new friends; for Renesmee, no matter how much it pains her.

So she desperately hopes that the Volturi will listen.

***

"EDWARD YOU DID NOT inform me your wife and sister were shields." Eleazar says after watching Zafrina use her gift on Edward, it didn't work on Jordyn nor Bella.

"What's a shield?" Bella asks Edward, growing enthusiastic at the word. Jordyns curious, too, sharing the same expression as her sister.

"Other shields are so different from them, I never suspected it." Edward looks back and forth from Bella to Jordyn.

"Hang on," Jordyn says while stepping towards the couple, "I thought we knew this."

Bella raises an eyebrow at Jordyn, "You knew?"

"We do block out everyone's gifts." Jordyn says like its obvious, mostly because it is.

"You two also have tactile telepathy." Eleazar tells the two girls.

Bella and Jordyn gasp, "That's what that was?" Bella says, still slightly shocked.

Jordyn grabs Bella's hand, thousands of new thoughts revolving around Edward and Rensmee pop into Jordyns head.

Kate grabs Jordyns other hand, testing to see if she really was a shield, "Yeah, Jords a shield alright. That should'a put her on her ass."

After testing Kates gift on Garrett, the group heard dashing through the forest — Jordyn is the first to take off after the sound.

She runs along side the wolves that snap and snarl at the two unknown vampires, who Jordyn can hear laughing teasingly.

She can see that one has hair even lighter than Caius. The other has dark raven hair. Both of them have bright, beady red eyes and alabaster skin that looks thin and dusted with powder.

"Vladimir, Stefan. You two are far from home, are you not?" Carlisle calls up to them once they perch themselves up in a large tree.

"Ew, why are they here?" Emmett asks, not loud enough for the two to hear.

Jordyn turns to look at him. "Who're they?"

"Two old, creepy and crusty vampires from Romania. Classic Dracula stuff." Emmett tells her quickly and quietly.

Jordyn slowly nods before turning back to face them.

Vladmir and Stefan agreed to join the fight, much to Jordyns dismay because they kept sneaking glances her way.

***

AT THE END OF THE DAY, every coven gathered in the Cullen living room and agreed to fight with each other if it came down to it.

The mood in the house was lighter after that, and Jordyn got to know a lot of vampires, making friends with most of them.

Her favorite vampire was Garrett, he was funny and told her war stories any time she asked for one. Along with Benjamin, whom she named the Avatar, which only Jacob and Bella understood, everyone else looked confused.

But even as she chatted with everyone and laughed, the looming thought of having to possibly fight against Caius was still there, and it worried her.

edited:11/26/22