Umbrella Boy (Oswald Cobblepot x reader oneshot)

“Thank you, Miss Mooney,” you said, beaming.

“It was nice meeting you, _____,” she replied, reaching across the table to shake your hand, “You’ll start this Saturday. See you then.” You nodded before turning to leave. You observed through the front window that the downpour outside was so thick it resembled a waterfall; you could barely see the other side of the street through the wall of raindrops. Walking home in this weather was really going to suck.

“Wait,” Fish called, “would you like me to call a cab for you?”

“No, thank you,” you replied, “I only live a few blocks away.”

“I-I’ll walk with you,” the pale, black-haired man next to Fish declared, his voice shaking slightly as if he was nervous. Fish raised her eyebrows and the man to her other side, you thought you remembered Fish introducing him as Butch, chuckled slightly, but no one commented.

The man, whom you noticed had a slight limp, walked over to you, already carrying an umbrella. He held the door open and you stepped outside first, under the awning that protruded from the front of the building. The man opened the umbrella, holding it above both of you as you led him in the direction of your apartment. The two of you walked close together and you found yourself struggling not to blush at the proximity. A few moments later, he absentmindedly linked his arm with yours, and this time you bit your lip to stifle a grin. The walk was silent for the most part, aside from the raindrops continually pounding on the pavement, but it was a comfortable silence. Soon, your building came into view.

“This is it,” you said, stopping outside the door, “Thank you.”

“It was no problem,” he replied, turning to leave, “I’ll see you at work.”

“Wait,” you said, “What’s your name?”

The man grinned and replied, “Oswald.”