CHAPTER SEVEN

BRIGHT

       JULIE WAS WALKING down the stairs, with Lee on the phone

JULIE WAS WALKING down the stairs, with Lee on the phone. The girls were on face-time and both hungry for a midnight snack. Lee had decided on making dino nuggets with a cup of ketchup.

       "Ah!" Julie jumped as soon as she saw Luke standing in front of her fridge, "I'm never gonna get used to that."

       "What?" Lee asked through the phone as she placed her chicken on her plate.

       "Luke, over here, is wasting electricity." Lee laughed as Julie complained, "Do you guys even eat?"

       Luke shook his head and licked his lips, "I just wanna see what'cha got."

       Julie grabbed what she needed from the door of the fridge and shut it. As it went through Luke, he asked annoyed, "Do you know how long it took me to open that?" He followed Julie as she placed her phone down and grabbed the bag of bread, "Hi, Lee."

       The blonde laughed from the other side of the phone and waved, "Hi, Luke."

       "As I told Lee, I don't believe in wasting power."

       "Good. Because that's exactly what I wanted to talk to you two about." Luke moved the phone so Lee would be facing him.

       "Our power usage?" Julie and Lee both raised an eyebrow at what he was getting at.

       He looked at her strangely, "No. The power that you both have." Luke held up his hand and began to count his fingers, "Your voices. Your piano playing. Your guitar playing. Dude, you guys are like human wrecking balls."

       "Quoting Miley Cyrus. Nice." Lee approved through the phone as she dipped her chicken into some ketchup.

       "I... don't know who that is. What I'm saying is that you guys have the power to move people. To knock them off their feet. I mean, Lee, just imagine what you could do with Phoenix!"

       "Phoenix?" Julie turned her head to her phone where Lee was mid-eating a tender.

       Once she swallowed the nugget she spoke, "That was the song I was supposed to show you the night we met this dork and his dorky friends."

       "Hey! I am not a dork."

       "You're the dorkiest of them all." Lee retorted and Luke gasped dramatically.

       "Luke, just give Lee her book back, please." Julie sighed as she rubbed her temples together.

       Diverting the topic he told Julie, "There is no way your teachers wouldn't let you back into school if they heard you play like that. And Lee! You would be able to be in the music class with your friends! And show off to the people who broke your heart!"