The Future for Indian Whisky

While, the future of Indian whiskies is exceptionally good, the new distillers should not misuse the faith & admiration for by compromising on quality and thereby compromising the category. It is the industry's collective responsibility to ensure that they give their best to consumers and the category in itself will flourish.

New offerings across segments which would redefine the product landscape are also being launched.

While Scotland has over 100 distilleries why not India? It is great to aspire to produce quality Indian whiskies, as long as the standards and maintained and people's faith is preserved, the Indian whisky Industry is in for a great. Indian Single Malts producers should unite and be governed by regulatory bodies just like FSSAI, an independent body which can set the rules that ensure quality is maintained. Like the scotch association. We should have something similar in India. By volume, regular and prestige segment whiskies are preferred due to price point offerings, especially in the Middle East and Africa. However Indian Single Malts are making a mark internationally now.

Amrut Whisky itself is looking at growth rate of 30% YoY, 70000 cases and aiming to achieve a minimum of 2.5X growth within the next 3 financial years.

Paul John has been recoding double digit growth and is currently present in France, USA, UK, Germany, South Africa, Japan, Duty Free and India. New Labels include Mars Orbiter Peated Single Malt Whisky, 1st Commemorative Edition (57.4%ABV) & Several Single Casks directly bottled for Whisky Societies & Private Stores.

Whisky Brands also need to consider promoting Indian whisky as a Category globally. An Indian Single Malt Category Appellation with guidelines to create a Single Malt of highest standards, can also be considered. Indian Cuisine Heritage also needs to be explored. Create expressions of a New India, besides making Indians feel proud for Indian Products and Indian Single Malts.

We learnt the art of whisky making from the Brits and have mastered the art. Indian Whiskies are quite similar to Scotch organoleptically but at a much more competitive price.

While the current flag-bearers of Indian Whisky are Single Malts, there is a lot of scope for good blended malt whiskies in the near future. Emergence of Whisky cocktails as added another dimension to Whisky consumption specially amongst the younger consumers.

Indian Whiskies have been gaining global acceptance & a lot more needs to be achieved. However, Indian Single Malt Whiskies have truly positioned India as one of emerging purveyor of finest quality Single Malts. Future looks positive, as premium offerings and micro-segmentation are creating an exciting spectrum of opportunities.

 Future looks positive, as premium offerings and micro-segmentation are creating an exciting spectrum of opportunities