004 apogee

CHAPTER FOUR
( apogee )

SEPT 13 & 14, 2149DAYS ONE & TWO ON THE GROUND

SEPT 13 & 14, 2149
DAYS ONE & TWO ON THE GROUND

WE COME RUNNING
━━━ YOUNGBLOOD
HAWKE

" tell me what you're waiting for,
look across the great divide. "

THE FIVE TEENAGERS STOOD FROZEN IN SHEER HORROR ON THE RIVERBANK, THE SILENCE DEAFENING AS the promptly quiet tributary remained motionless; no signs of life, and no inkling of hope emitting from it.

No one moved, no one spoke; the group weighed down with heavy shackles of fear, the vast panic constricting their airways and unforgivingly squeezing their throats, blocking oxygen from entering their bodies. Their enormous, terror-stricken eyes desperately searched the still waters, hunting frantically for any indication of Octavia or the unknown behemoth that had lugged the Blake girl down to the cavernous depths of the water.

No one knew what to do. They were utterly helpless until Octavia abruptly resurfaced, her leg still caught in the strong jaws of the mighty creature. She screamed hysterically and wildly pounded her arms against the surface of the water, trying tremendously to escape its painful grip on her; the image of her own demise never having been so clear in her head before.

"Octavia!" Dakota's strident screech rang out, her loud voice wavering.

The remaining four scrambled to where Dakota was already standing, their chests rising and falling rapidly as Octavia's calamitous shrieks raged on; the serpent continuing to mercilessly tug her about like a rag doll.

"What the hell is that? We have to help her!" Monty voiced, narrowing his eyes at the obscure beast, then turning to Finn as the boy speedily tore off his coat.

"What are you gonna do?"

"Try not to get eaten." the brunette responded, beginning to charge forward as Clarke tossed an arm in front of him; stopping the boy in his tracks.

"No, wait! If we distract it, it might let her go." she declared, squatting hurriedly down by a small boulder to push into the water.

"Help me!"

Monty, Finn, and Dakota were quick to join the blonde in aiding to her plan, Jasper remaining swaying uneasily on his feet; his wide eyes fused onto the Blake girl and her piercing cries.

Dakota thanked God when the sound of the echoing splash indeed caught the attention of the gigantic monster, the creature releasing its hold on Octavia and slithering towards the commotion beneath the surface; the disoriented girl gasping for air as she frenziedly flailed her arms about, having been regrettably dragged to the deep end.