1. Starting with a bang

This is the sequel to the book A Dangerous Captive, you MUST read that before this in order for it to make any sense. 

I have been overwhelmed with the response on A Dangerous Captive, I was not expecting my very first book to blow up the way it did and for that I am forever grateful. 

But first, I must address certain things about the first book, more specifically the ending of said book. 

I understand that the ending to A Dangerous Captive was abrupt and was something that many of you were not expecting. I made a very conscious decision since the first few words of the book were written that I wouldn't have Adelaide run into the arms of a character she hardly knew anything about and was otherwise hot and cold with her. This book is about HER journey and HER life and I'm frankly sick of wattpad writers having fully grown, capable, and smart women run into very obviously toxic and emotionally abusive relationships which is a harmful demonstration on how relationships should work for the young readership many authors get on this website.  

With all this being said, please stick around for not only the character development of Adelaide but also for ALL other characters. 

None of my characters are perfect people, I've made sure of it.

My updating schedule will not be consistent.

My mental health has significantly declined since the start of writing A Dangerous Captive but I thankfully have support from the single most best person in the world (you know who you are if you ever finish the first book lmao). I will prioritize my personal mental health over regular updates, especially since I will be in my last year of high school while writing and IB is a notoriously challenging qualification. 

If you've read this far thank you for hearing what I have to say and I hope I haven't come off as a horrible person lmao.

All songs mentioned are not mine and can be found on a Spotify playlist called 'A Dangerous Alliance' - Anna Joicey and it would make me happy if you listened while reading. 

---

Song: Howl - Alexandra Savior

---

Adelaide

---

b a n g

I woke up with a start, the gunshot ringing through my head.

Sweat beaded my brow, my heart continuing to patter heavilyn my chest as I sat up, clutching it as if it would be the thing to save me.

I let out a sigh of relief as my eyes met the familiar lavender walls, my breathing slowly returning to a normal pace as I ran my hands through my hair, tugging hard, as if I was trying to bring my being back to reality.

And maybe I was.

The gunshot I took all those months ago had taken a bigger toll on my mind than I initially thought it would and had brought back memories I had thought I locked away with a lock and key.

After all, I had my reasons as to why I never used a gun and in retrospect, I should have never used it, I should have found another way to get my hands on that knife.

But I didn't, I was careless, desperate, and still reeling from the many betrayals that had been sprung on me.

And yet I broke my rule, and here I was, waking up like a child after a nightmare, tears threatening to fall as I forced myself to put my heart back together every morning.

I sat silently on the bed until my breathing returned to a normal pace and my heart no longer hammered in my ribs. I tentatively let my toes down onto the cool wood as I heaved myself upwards, my heart settling in my chest like a heavy stone.