Prologue:

Every time a child is born, they receive one thing from the magical practitioner who helps deliver them. A golden locket, which has a way of both catching the light and being noticeable, shaped like an amber teardrop, like a droplet of the sunrise. Inside is one scrap of paper- a scrap with one word inside it. This one word determines their future.

Light or dark.

Sunrise or moonset.

Black or white.

On one moonlit night, another child was delivered. No different than the others who were born, except for one fact.

When the sorceress revealed from within her robe a pendant, the moonlight hit the locket and sunk into it, infusing the gold with silver. The parents and the sorceress watched as the gold was slowly devoured by the light of the moon.

Such a thing was unheard of. Ancient magic being thwarted by something as simple as the moon? If it even was the moon, and not the child.

Maybe the child would have been killed if the three witnessing the event had been different, but she got lucky.

The locket could not be opened by anyone but the child, so the parents and the sorceress swore each other to secrecy, bid the child to always hide the locket under her robe, and never spoke of it again. They satisfied their burning curiosity at what was inside with their mundane, daily work.

The child opened the locket at age ten. She knew her fate.

The paper was black, with words written in gold.

And only I know what they are.

For I am the child.