Chapter 1

Pinky hasn't been feeling well.

He had assumed it was because Brain was gone. After all, everything is better when Brain is there!

But this had been happening since before Brain left, so maybe not that.

Then he thought maybe he was turning into Brain. After all, he hasn't wanted to go on his wheel, or watch his work out tapes, or do much of anything, really. And he was beginning to have a little tummy, just like Brain had! He'd had it for a while now, ever since the scientists took him and gave him a shot there.

He didn't really notice it until he couldn't put on his favorite dress though. He had cried the entire night. He wished Brain was here, Brain knew everything. He could help him.

He thought back to when Brain had left. It had only been around a month, but it seemed like an eternity.

"I'm ready Brain! Poit!"

"Whatever for, Pinky?"

"Our tripy trip! You said you were gonna pack your suitcase and we were gonna leave!" Pinky said with a wide smile.

"You misunderstand Pinky. I said I was going to pack my suitcase and I was going to leave. Without you."

Pinky's smile immediately fell.

"What? Bu- but Brain! How are we supposed to take over the world together if we aren't together?"

"That's just it Pinky. I am leaving so I CAN take over the world! Every single night, I have a brilliant plan! And every single night, it goes askew during execution! I've been pondering our failures and there is one common factor in it all. You go screw up every. Single. PLAN! How am I supposed to take over the world with someone who doesn't understand the intricacies of my brilliance?"

Pinky's eyes welled up.

"Buh... Brain-"

"I am truly sorry Pinky. I would say it's not you... but in truth, it is." He turned his back to the slender mouse, not wanting to make eye contact. "Goodbye, old friend."

A rude bump with a pencil eraser brought Pinky back to reality. It was a scientist, trying to get him to uncurl from himself.

The scientists had been very rude lately, Pinky noticed. Always poking him in the tummy, or taking him back and putting him in machines, or taking pictures of him.

Mostly the last thing.

This scientist in particular was being very rude at the moment, poking him even after he uncurled. A different scientist smacked the one poking him and scooped him up against his will. He was tired, and his head was all achy, so he didn't fight the human.

He was strapped down to a counter, and someone put a little doohickey on his stomach. He wasn't sure what was going on, but he he didn't like it. He felt tears stream down his face against his will. A whimper escaped from his throat. What if he was here forever? What if... no.

'Remember what Brain said' he told himself 'Take a deep breath and count back from ten. It helps get through experiments.' He closed his eyes tight, took a deep breath, and began counting.

'Ten... eight... three... gummy worm... gummy worms are yummy. I wonder if I do a good job here if they'll give me a gummy worm! Eh, they'll probably just give me more cheese. Their cheese hasn't been very good lately though. I wonder-"

Before he finished his thought, he was plopped down in the cage again. He laid there for a minute, but soon heaved himself up and walked over to his bed. It felt empty without Brain, the other side of the bed feeling too cold, too light. Out of a sort of unspoken respect he never even touched Brain's side of the bed.

He never really drifted off, but he laid there for a while, his thoughts drifting fluidly from thought to thought. He laid there for hours, even forgetting to eat.

He had been doing pretty often as of late.

In his mind, it made perfect sense: if he felt too icky to go on his wheel or do workouts, then he wouldn't eat. That's what all the people in magazines say to do.

It was frustrating to see that it wasn't working.

He stuck his head under the covers in order to look at his stomach. It was... disturbing. To say the least.

He knew he should get back on his wheel, but he couldn't stop thinking about the last time he was on it when he vomited. Brain had seen everything happen, and he'd been so gentle with him for the rest of the day. He didn't even bop him!

He felt a tear drip from his eyes. Oh, how he missed Brain. His ponderings and his chubby little head, and how he would always say big smart words.

"Brain, where are you?"