Chapter 1

"MY LADY, we are ready to dress you, when you are", my lady maid brought me back from the daydream I had drifted myself off to. I stood in my bedroom chambers, still dripping wet from the slightly cold bath I just had taken, hugging the silk I used to cover my naked body. "Right, yes, I'm ready", I cleared my throat forcing a smile on my face. Today, was the day before my, to me, unexpected wedding to Prince Bastian of Alinac. Unexpected because, I had not known of this affair until yesterday, when my father walked into my chambers to declare that I was to marry the King of Alinac's second son in order to unite our houses. With such union, Mirellia, my small but, very resourceful kingdom and Alinac, could join forces and rule over every kingdom scattered upon the east and west. Alinac was our capital, where the king and queen reside, Mirellia and every other kingdom were small and ruled by the nobles the king and queen assigned. My father being such a good knight was awarded the responsibility of this small but very beautiful land. We never ventured to the north, and we, dare say, never even thought about venturing to the south. A land so diseased, only a few travelers with unspoken abilities have been know to get by. I was a noble yes, not too important to be married off to the heir to the throne but, just as important to be married off to a prince. I've never met Prince Bastian but, rumors were that he was very reserved and respectful. I was almost grateful at that, even though I never intended to marry like this. I knew some day my duty would come before my wishes but, I was hoping that in being just a noble it would give me a chance to actually know someone and maybe fall in love before I was handed off in marriage. I couldn't be ungrateful though, I had just turned twenty-one, I had my years of fun. Some poor girls, got married off at merely sixteen and a year after they had a baby suckling their tit. Then, there was the fact that I was also getting married to a prince, and even though I didn't know him, if he would be cruel or not, if he would only use me for procreation, I had to accept my fate. A fate that I had until this day, avoided. Now, here I was, preparing for a feast, which purpose was introducing the newly engaged couples, Princess Kallistê of Bellrose and Prince and heir to the throne, Nikolai of Alinac followed by Prince Bastian and myself. Our wedding would take place first tomorrow and theirs by the end of the week, since it was the real important event. After that, it would be a couple of weeks until the coronation.

"Oh, I will make you look so beautiful! Prince Bastian will be very pleased. They say he is the most handsome of them all. Isn't that wonderful? You don't get a King but, you get the handsome prince"  my youngest lady maid Rowena, said cheerfully. "Beauty only lasts a second, Rowena. If he is an awful man then he might as well be ugly like the rest of them", I stated as she brushed my hair. "Sit up straight, Lady Jirina, ladies are supposed to have good posture; and don't let those comments slip through your lips tonight", my older lady maid Dorothea, angrily scolded at me. I giggled at her annoyance. "Cheer up, Dorothea, soon you won't have to stand my witty remarks anymore. I'll be out of your hair for good", I said smiling sadly. "Silly girl, I raised you. I held you with these humble hands when you were born and since then I've never let you out of my sight. So don't you dare think I won't miss you. You're a pain in the arse, but you are my pain in the arse" she scolded me while the corners of her mouth lifted up a little. My eyes started to water, this house was all I've ever known, well this small castle was all I've ever known. My father was a good knight, the best there ever was. He had led many battles into victory. He was also a good father, he provided my mother and little sister and me everything we've ever wanted. His only fault was that he was so loyal to the King, he would do just about anything to please him. Including marrying me off to a stranger. "Well, let's not get sentimental shall we," I breathed keeping my tears in and clearing my throat. "I really don't want to ruin Rowena's work yes?" I stood up to look at my reflection. I've always thought of myself as fair looking. My body was slim and thin, with just about a few curves that if you didn't look close enough, you couldn't see. My hair fell long and with a chocolatey color, my skin was not too pale not too dark, just like when you mix black tea with lots of milk. My eyes were light green like lake water, and very few times an intense forest green. I was definitely not tall either, but I was not small at all. Just average. And right now with all the work Rowena had put on me, I looked more than average, I felt beautiful. I stepped into the dress Rowena was holding out for me as she worked on the hems and tied it all together. It was a forest green dress, it brought out my eyes and it lay down in beautiful silk and embroidered sleeves. "Your mother wanted you to wear this, it's the emerald she wore when she met your father", Dorothea came forward with a beautiful emerald necklace. It was simple and delicate but it carried so much more than just a few gems, it carried memories. "So, what do you think, Lady Jirina" Rowena searched for my approval. "I think I have the best of the best with you two", I hugged them to my side, "thank you, for everything". Dorothea cleared her throat, wiping out a tear, "Yes, well you should get going, they'll be waiting for you", she rushed me out. Goodbyes were never easy in this house. Tonight my luggage was already packed. I was to go to the feast and then straight to the palace with Prince Bastian. Of course, my parents and sister would travel with me but, tonight was the last night I'd see my lady maids and my house. After tonight, I would no longer just be Lady Jirina. After tonight my freedom would be over.