Zoe's Responsibility

TIME- 1983

LOCATION- THE ROYAL PALACE, ACME FALLS

"Sissyyy!" A certain 4-year old wailed. Zoe rushes over to him, her youngest brother sleeping in her arms. "What's wrong Yakky?" she asked in a calming tone.

"I wanna play!" Little Yakko pouted, crossing his arms. Zoe sighed. " Not right now baby. I have to make a bottle for your brother."

"But... you always take care of him and never take care of me! Is not fair! I'm betta than him anyway! He's just a dumb baby..." Yakko kept yakking about how much better he was than the younger one.

Wakko woke up from all the chatter and started crying. "No, no, shh... shh..." Zoe patted Wakko's back. Yakko's eyes started to water when he saw Wakko getting all the attention.

"But... I wanna..." Soon, Yakko also started crying.

"Oh no... Yakky... Yakky, look at me."

Yakko looked up at Zoe as she smiled at him.

"I promise I'll play with you, but right now, I need to take care of Wakky. Okay?"

Yakko sniffed and hung his head low as he wipes his tears. "Okay..."

Then, Zoe had an idea. "Hey... what if you helped me with him, would that make it better?"

Yakko suddenly lit up. "Yea, yea!" he said, hopping up and down. "Great. Now, he must be hungry. Go get the bottle in the fridge." Zoe told him. Yakko nodded and ran to the fridge to get the bottle.

He scurried back to Zoe with the bottle. "Got it!" He yipped. Zoe grabbed the bottle and gave it to Wakko, who just took it with ease. She turned back to Yakko, who was smiling with pride. 

"Great brother sib, you have succeeded in your task.  You may choose your reward. And what shall it be?" she said dramatically, making the boy laugh. He bowed down to the older one. "Yes, Ms. Sista sib. And what shall be of my reward? Hmm... the song, madam."

"The song?" Zoe muttered. "Mhm!" Yakko nodded. "Gee Mini..."

"Sing the song, sing the song!" Yakko said excitedly, his tail wagging quickly. Zoe rubbed the back of her head. "Ehh... I dunno..."

"Pleeeeease?" Yakko begged, using his cute face. Wakko giggled at Yakko and tried to copy him. "P-peeeeease?" He babbled, using his own cute face. Zoe sighed in defeat. "Alright... get on the bed and I'll sing it."

Yakko picked Wakko up and sat on the bed with him in his arms. Zoe pulled out her guitar and began to play it, singing: 

"Once upon a younger year, when all our shadows disappeared. The animals inside came out to play... Went face to face with all our fears, learned our lessons through the tears. Made memories we knew would never fade."

"One day my father, he told me; 'Lass, don't let it slip away,' He took me in his arms, I heard him say. 'When you get older, your wild heart will live for younger days. Think of me if ever you're afraid.'"

"He said, 'One day you'll leave this world behind. So live a life you will remember.' My father told me when I was just a child: 'These are the nights that never die.' My father told me."

Once Zoe finished, she saw both of her brothers were already asleep. She smiled and put her guitar away. She picked up Wakko and put him in his crib, tucking him in. Then she turned to Yakko and laid him properly on his own bed.

She sighed once she saw when her job was finished and walked to the front gate of the palace to see her parents and her new baby sister arrive.

"Welp, time for another job... I wonder what it'll be like with a little sister..."