Identity

Then

"No!", a cry was heard from the room.

"You can't do this. You can't do this to her, you can't do this to her!".

Now

Max threw his bag on the bed soon after entering his room. His room was a mess. Papers scattered, clothes dumped, wires and books all over the place. In a corner of the room, were dead flowers with their half-baked funeral.
Julia entered. As usual upset with the room, she started cleaning.
"You should stop cleaning my room", he said.
"For the last time, I don't go through your things. Have you seen this mess? I can't - "

"Leave it!" his voice was deep. "I prefer my things untouched."

"No. You need to organize your room, at least make it habitable for a human! Look at you...what have you done...evidently you have retired from self-care which is not good.
I'm not asking for your help, I will do it."

"Don't. Do not touch my things! How many times do I have to repeat that ?", he realized he was yelling.
He rushed to the balcony.

It was 9, pitch dark outside. They lived a few miles away from the city. Neighbors initially thought they were married. But they weren't. Max was a head chef and Julia worked as an accountant. 

The dinner was set. Julia ate quietly without a word. He went and sat next to her. "I just hate when anyone goes through my belongings. You know that. I should not have yelled, like that."

She continued to eat as if no one was there.

"Don't ignore me, Julia, I am the only truth of your life!"

She stopped. 

"That's because I am unfortunate. 

Are you ever going to tell me who sends you those flowers? Are you ever going to drop the curtain and unfurl yourself to me? Will you ever consider me as anything?

And I am not 'anyone', I am here because of you, because you saved me, because we need each other to survive! We are human beings, Max!

Alright, I would never touch your things.", she stormed out.

Max after her.

The lane was dark and vacant lined with trees. Julia was enraged and restless.

"Julia! Julia! Come home, it's not safe!"

Finally, he caught her, seized her by the wrist. She could listen to his heartbeat, feel his breath on her hair.

His eyes were moist. "I didn't save you to kill you."

The next morning it was raining heavily. Again a parcel.

Max arranged the flowers in a vase. 

"Were you married?", asked Julia.

He smirked and denied. 

 Then

"So, what is your plan now?"

"She will stay with me." 

"What? Max, you can't " 

"She will be the safest with me. Trust me. No one will know. We will be out of town by tomorrow."

Now

Julia returned early from work surprised to see a letter lying in the doorway. It was addressed to Max. A shiver ran down her spine. She trusted him. She knew he had no acquaintance in the hills.