Bedivere and the End of Excalibur

Part 1: Excalibur

I helped my injured king as he struggled to walk.

As we walked through the forest, I held my king up, as best as I could - my left arm gripped the back of his torso, while my right hand held on to his arm which was resting on the back of my neck.

Finally, we reached the end of the forest, and could see the edge of a lake.

"We're here, my king," I said, "I've brought you to the nearest lake, as you've asked."

"Thank you, Bedivere," he said, "Please, help me sit down."

I helped my king sit down, leaning his back against a tree.

"Thank you," he said.

I looked down at my king - the great King Arthur.

He had suffered a grievous wound to his head, one dealt to him by Sir Mordred - the treacherous Sir Mordred who was King Arthur's own son, and, like me, a Knight of the Round Table.

"Sir Bedivere," my king struggled to say.

I knelt down next to him, "Yes, my king?"

"This is my final order for you," he said, as he reached for his sword.

King Arthur held out his legendary sword, Excalibur - the same Sword in the Stone that he had pulled out so long ago, in order to prove that he was worthy of being king.

"Throw this into the lake," he said.

Befuddled, I looked up at my king, "I-I beg your pardon, my king?"

Once more, my king held out his sword, "Throw this into the lake."

Reluctantly, I picked up the sword, and stood up.

Though I knew what my king had ordered me to do, I could only stand there and stare at Excalibur.

"Why do you hesitate?" King Arthur asked, weakly.

"I..." I looked down at my king.

Upon seeing the dying form of my king, I gripped the sword tightly, not willing to let go.
"I'm sorry, my king, but I can't do it!" I explained, "You will die if I cast the sword away from you, is that not true?!"

King Arthur let out a weak chuckle, albeit a sad one, "While it's true that the sword has had many enchantments casted upon it, unfortunately, immortality for its wielder is not one of them."

Still I hesitated, "Even so, perhaps one of these enchantments can still save you!"

"We can't lose you now, my king!" I continued, "It was your perfection that led our kingdom to such great heights! And now that Camelot has fallen, we need you to lead us, so that we can rebuild what was lost. We need you now, more than ever, my king!"

King Arthur paused for a moment, before saying, "Perfection, you say?"

My king sadly shook his head, "I won't deny that I have always strived for perfection as a king, and for my kingdom as well. Whether or not we had reached that ideal, will always be up for debate."

"But, my dear Bedivere," my king continued, "all things must pass, even a 'perfect' king and a 'perfect' kingdom."

"And soon," he said, "it will be my time to pass."

"No..." I said, softly. My throat choked, as tears began to well in my eyes.

His hand reached out to me, and I knelt down to grab it.