Chapter One - Tokyo, Japan

Tokyo, Japan

It had all happened so fast: the spike, the ball, the rushing as is whizzed over the net and towards my position, and then the royaly messed up receive. I knew it had been coming. I knew that it didn't feel right even before it had hit my forearms. I knew that it was going to be a loss.

Everyone told me after the match that it was 'okay' and gave our entire team the pitiful 'well done' or 'you did the best you could do'. No. We didn't do our best because if we did we would have won. We would be the ones going walking onto that first place podium. But we weren't, so how could you say that 'we did our best' when we very clearly didn't.
Mother knew that fact very well. She was the first one to verbally bring it to the entire team's attention when we walked out of that stadium and into the changing rooms. We all sat there in dismay, taking the beating of words before saying a sorrowful farewell to each other as we left.

Home was a different situation. I had just walked in and mother brought it up again. She came to me and stared down at my small frame. She was furiated and I could predict what was about to come. Cold, ice blue eyes hardened, dulled and then here it came. The raising of her slender, but muscular arm from the countless years of training and then-

"Please may all passengers place on their seatbelts as we are now beginning our descent to landing at the Tokyo airport." the strange mix on a monotonous and cheery voice sounded over the intercoms of the aeroplane.

I sighed, removing my chin from resting on my enclosed fist and watched as the seatbelt sign lit up a glowing, dull red. Dragging myself to adjust my sitting position, I lazily pulled and clipped on the waist belt while pushing up the small pull down table from the seat in front of me and clipping it at the top so it wouldn't slip open. I stared out the small, oval shaped window, watching as the plane dipped down and into the clouds. The fluffy white against an open blue sea. It was gorgeous and I couldn't believe that I was doing this. My mind smiled, realising exactly what was becoming true and I hummed as the sea of sky opened up a whole new world below: Tokyo, Japan.

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ♫ ⋅.} ───── ⊰

Quietly, thanking the driver I paid him with what yen I had on me and started to lug my suitcase behind me. The clunking of the plastic wheels as they rolled over the concrete pavement and the mix of machinery, cars, and humanity all mixing into one. I tried my best to keep to myself and thankfully only bumped into just a few people as I wasn't paying attention. I stared at one of the many notes in my hands and looked up to the apartment block that towered off in amongst the rest of the tall buildings. Looking around, it wasn't actually that big and was pretty quaint in comparison. The stark colour of a greyish-white brick and the light coloured windows giving the architecture a cute feel.

It felt different, but homely. I had entered the small apartment space I was able to afford with my own savings and at first glance, everything was light toned - mostly white. The block consisted of 3 rooms, a bedroom, bathroom, and an open plan kitchenette and living area. Everything was simplistic, which I was thankful for considering it meant I could decorate to my heart's content (when I have the money). Reminding me of the job that I would need to get once I was settled down and was less rusty with the Japanese language.

"I'm too tired for this." My own voice was quiet and hoarse from the overwhelming jet lag that was easing my body and brain to shut down for sleep.

Looking out of the window, it was still light but I could care less as I sluggishly wandered into my new bedroom and collapsed onto the white sheets. Before I could even get comfy, I was falling asleep and I knew the next few days were not going to be easy.