Introduction

Prologue

As the sun sits obnoxiously high, Faiza continues to play with her dagger. Every few seconds, checking her surroundings. Hunting in the middle of the day isn't always the easiest thing to do. Everyone staring as they pass. Some even stopping to see if they'll catch a fight between her and...whatever it is she's been contracted to kill. But this was certainly the best time for her to have the upper hand on her opponent. She's been watching him for a few days now. Learning his habits. He won't be hunting this early in the day. And the best part, he travels alone. Doesn't like to be seen. So, for her, daylight hours are her best approach. Without question.

Faiza catches the sound of slow, heavy footsteps over her right shoulder. She can't see him yet, but his scent isn't one she'd mistake for anything else. She stands from her resting place and begins stretching, counting down the time she has left until he approaches. She balances the tip of her dagger on her finger, watches as the blood drips to the ground, and flips it in the air, catching the handle,

"As much as I want to use you, it wouldn't do much good this time," she says, almost apologetically, as she slides it into its covering. Faiza secures her silver blade into the sheath on her back and twists side to side to ensure its size doesn't impede her movement. Her back cracks amidst the movement and she sighs with some relief. She laughs lightly as she hears Roz's voice in her head,

"Old age not agreein' with you any longer, old friend?" His footsteps get closer and she rolls her shoulders as she grabs a short but hefty bludgeon. She rolls her wrists and moves it around her body in a fanning motion, to ensure its weight is balanced. Once set, she takes her stance. Left foot forward, left hand free, right foot back, club in hand.

He emerges, head down, mumbling to himself in his mother tongue. None the wiser. Faiza's eyes scan his body,

"Shit. You're bigger than I thought." Her voice startles him to a halt.

"Hm?" He sniffs. "Ugh. Human." His tone showing every bit of disdain that he has for them. "I'm not hungry yet." He waves her off.

"Don't call me human," she replies with annoyance. His massive stature straightens a bit as her words intrigued him. He takes in a deep breath through his nose. A smirk moves across his face when he realizes what she is.

"Maybe I am hungry after all." He twists his body, flinging his massive arm through the air, knocking a deer to the ground.

"No, no, no!" Faiza squeezes the handle of the club as she watches him kneel to drink its blood. "Shit," she mutters under her breath. He stands, turns towards Faiza, and wipes the blood from his mouth with the back of his hand. His dark eyes begin to glow, and his once slow, lumbering movements begin to increase in speed. Faiza squeezes her eyes shut.

"You couldn't See this one coming, could you?" she scolds herself.

"Fair fight now, don't you think? I know how the likes of felines move," he says to her with certainty. He starts towards her and she quickly holds up her free hand.

"Wait!" She moves the club to her left hand and the fingers on her right dance in a distinct motion. She places the weapon back into her right hand and lets out a heavy sigh, "That's better."

"What was that?"

"Quen."

"What?"

"Doesn't matter. You ready?"

She stares him in the eyes but keeps her focus on the entirety of his body. She notices a slight bend in his knee and realizes what he's about to do. He lunges towards her and just before he can strike, she roll-dodges away from him, coming to her feet just as quickly as she went down. He stands and looks down at his hands, confused as to how he may have missed her.