i.

Hyungwon swam faster, ducking and dodging through odd rock formations and the razor-sharp coral that lined the ocean floor. If not for the overly large eyes common to his kind and his precise hearing, he would likely have cut his arms or tail as he sliced through the water, but his kind had spent thousands of years adapting to the unique environment of the deep sea. The coral posed no threat to him, and the faint bioluminescent quality of his tail, which propelled him forward through the water, helped give off just enough illumination to ensure that he didn't shoot straight into a rockface.

Changkyun, get back here, Hyungwon called forward in a series of clicks. As always, the sounds made a pleasant vibration in his throat and were carried on by the water.

Make me, taunted his younger brother.

The chase continued for some time. Changkyun was Hyungwon's youngest brother, an absolute bullet in the water. Nobody would race with Changkyun anymore; he was simply too fast. Still, Changkyun whined when the others ignored his calls to play, and Hyungwon was ever the doting brother, which was how he'd found himself pursuing Changkyun in yet another pointless game that he knew he wouldn't win.

Another series of clicks from ahead. Have you gotten slow, brother?

Hyungwon gnashed at his teeth, sharp triangles meant for tearing flesh from bone. Have you gotten arrogant, brother? he responded back.

The smart fish – the ones that knew what he was and sensed the danger hurtling toward them at a high speed – disappeared from sight, immediately blending in with rocks or the ocean floor, whereas some of the stupid fish stayed out in the open, their bulging eyes curious.

Hyungwon snatched one up as he flew past, sinking his teeth into the fish and immediately severing its spinal cord to give it a quick and painless death. Eating fish didn't do much to sate his true hunger, but it took the edge off.

As expected, Hyungwon fell too far behind Changkyun to catch up, so he changed course, instead heading back toward their cave. When he grew close enough to hear communicative clicks, he slowed almost to a stop, instead letting himself just inch closer without disturbing the water around him. He didn't want to telegraph his presence just yet.

Once he was right outside the cave, he sank to the ocean floor and laid back against a rock, carefully tucking his tail beneath the sand to trap its luminescence.

The ocean before him became nearly invisible. Complete, absolute darkness. If Hyungwon hadn't spent his entire life in this environment, he might have been scared. As it was, the darkness had become familiar, cozy to an extent. Not quite warm; the sun couldn't penetrate to these depths of the sea, so warmth wasn't really possible. But comforting, in a way.

Before long, the darkness was broken up by a faint glow that drew closer and closer. Changkyun was making soft, happy clicks to himself, swimming in a slow and lazy manner now that he was confident that he'd outswam Hyungwon. Just as he approached the cave, Hyungwon sprang up from the ocean floor with a strong push of his tail and latched onto Changkyun, arms encircling his torso and teeth carefully nipping at the skin between his neck and shoulder.

Changkyun's clicks turned panicked before he recognized Hyungwon's presence, and then he gave a few low clicks, disappointed at having been caught.

No fair, he clicked. You ambushed me.

You can outswim me, Hyungwon clicked back with a fond warmth in his tone, but you can't outsmart me.

Changkyun's clicks turned whiny and petulant as he swam, carrying Hyungwon's additional weight, into the cave.