The Ashes 2019, 2nd Test Day 4: Stumps, England Lead By 104 Runs

The umpires have had enough and about time they pulled the curtains. It's officially Stumps day 4 of 2nd match of the Ashes 2019. Buttler and Stokes exchange a handshake as they stroll back to the pavilion. Tim Paine leads his troop off the field and phew! What an action we have had. England has to stabilize its batting order in this situation as they are in lead by 104 runs.

 England has to stabilize its batting order in this situation as they are in lead by 104 runs

The Ashes 2019, 2nd Test Day 4: Stumps, England Lead By 104 Runs

When England managed just one wicket in the first session, things looked pretty lull and the Test seemed to be headed towards a draw, but guess someone must have installed a chip of relentless aggression in Archer's system during that break and boy, he was impossible to deal in the second session.

So much so that, even the World's best Test batsman remained floored for a good few minutes after being smashed by a nasty pacy bumper from the man from Barbados. That Smith v Archer duel will be one for the ages, and today, we witnessed the start of it. Smith may not have won that battle, but his resilience at the crease meant the hosts did not have much of lead in their second innings.

England's second essay got off to the worst possible start with Cummins nipping out Roy and Root off successive deliveries and yet again, the task of resurrection fell upon the duo of Burns and Denly. Both had their moments of luck, ably helped by some poor decision-making and equally shabby fielding from Australia.

Stokes was out lbw against Lyon on 6, but a non-review moment from the visitors helped him extend his stay at the crease and with a lead just over 100, both teams will feel the to get ahead in the game.

Earlier, England has scored 258 runs for all out in their first inning and Australia also took their total to 250 runs in its first inning. England is at 96 runs for 4 wickets till stumps day 4.