Voices in the Static

Mono and Six were walking in the rain, the dull grey of the broken city giving off a sullen aura. The only splash of color in the whole place was the bright yellow of Six's raincoat.

Mono sighed. It was going to be a long trip.

Mono took a left into an alley before jumping back at what he saw. He pulled back Six, who was dismissively following him and wasn't really paying attention to anything. She shot him a dirty look.

"What was that for?" she exclaimed, smacking his arm. Mono let go of the fistful of raincoat.

"The place is crawling with Viewers and the Signal's playing everywhere down there," he mumbled awkwardly, "I didn't want you to get hurt or locked in."

Six blinked a few times. "Oh," she said, "Sorry for snapping at you."

"It's okay."

"So we go around?"

Mono shook his head. "This is unfortunately the safest way," he said, gesturing to the alley, "The buildings around it aren't the most stable. They could collapse on us at any moment if we go inside."

"So what do we do?" Six asked.

Both children stood there in silence for a few moments, neither knowing the answer. Rain poured down in sheets.

Mono's eyes lit up.

"I have an idea!" he said suddenly. He started looking around. "Is there a spare piece of cloth around here?"

Six cocked her head to the side in confusion. Mono paid no attention to her, too focused on the task at hand.

"Got it!" he shouted. He returned to his friend brandishing a long-ish, roughly rectangular piece of white cloth.

"And what are we supposed to do with some fabric, huh?" Six asked sarcastically, "Wear it as a scarf or something?"

"Blindfold," Mono replied simply.

"What?"

"A blindfold. For you."

"Uh, thanks? What's the occasion?"

Mono shook his head and put the piece of cloth in her hand. "You see, the Signal has two parts: the audio and the visual. The audio is what draws you in and the visual keeps you there. If you can block out either one, the Signal's effect is easier to manage and resist. So by wearing this-"

"-I can go through without having to worry about becoming some kind of zombie," Six finished, taking the cloth.

"Not how I would have put it, but yeah," Mono said.

"But how will you get through?" Six asked.

"I'm immune, remember?" Mono replied.

"Oh yeah," she said in realization, "Which doesn't make any sense if you ask me."

Mono shrugged. "I've found it better to not question it and to just be glad that I am."

Six put down the hood of her raincoat and Mono helped her tie the cloth over her eyes before putting the hood up again. Mono took Six's hand and started walking down the alley, guiding her along.

He heard Six give a small wince as they passed the first TV. Mono was holding one in himself. It wasn't that the Signal really hurt as more it was overwhelming. The sounds of static filling his brain were almost maddening. He could only imagine what it would be like for Six.

They kept walking. They passed two more TVs. Mono could feel Six's grip on his hand tighten a little.

They passed a couple of Viewers. For a moment, Mono could swear that he heard the murmur of voices in the static.

They passed more Viewers. There were voices, Mono was sure of it. They were getting clearer now. But who are they? What are they trying to tell him?

"Mono? Why are you slowing down?" Mono heard Six ask him. Her voice sounded a little shaky.

"Shh!" Mono said, stopping altogether. Six bumped into him as a result. "Do you hear that?" he asked.

"Hear what?"

"The voices."

"Mono, are you okay? Is the Signal getting to you or something?"

Mono shook his head. "Yeah, I'm fine. Let's just keep-"

"Hello? Is anyone out there? Please! Hello?"

"Help! Somebody help!"

"Get me OUT OF HERE!"

"Hello?"

"It hurts so bad..."

"I don't wanna die!"

"MONO!"

Mono yelped, holding a hand to his shoulder where Six had slapped him. The voices were fading back into the static. He could still faintly hear what they were saying, though.

"What was that for?" Mono snapped at Six.

"You were in some kind of trance," she said, "I can't really see you well and saw your silhouette just standing there staring at the light and I... I-I thought... I was scared that..." There was a small sniffling sound.

"Hey," Mono said softly, pulling his friend into a hug, "I'm okay now. Let's just get out of here before..."

"Somebody, please! Hello?"

"...before we both end up going crazy, okay?"

Six sniffed and wiped her face. "Okay."

The two continued walking, both holding the others' hand in a death grip until they reached the end.