Annapurna Circuit Trek

The trail passes through picturesque villages inhabited by Gurungs, Manangis, and Thakalis, and provides stunning mountain views of the numerous 7000m-plus Annapurna peaks, as well as some of Nepal's best trekking lodges.

The best piece of advice we can give you for this trek is to keep in mind that the side trips and excursions from places like Manang, Muktinath, and Jomsom are the highlights. Adding a couple of days to your trip to explore some of these trails is well worth it. You'll be more prepared for the pass, and you'll be able to avoid some of the crowds. This isn't the kind of scenery you want to rush through.

Overview of the Trek

Distance – 260 km/161 mi (if walking the complete route)Time – 15 -18 days (for the entire route)Permits – TIMS card and Annapurna Sanctuary permit required Starting point – Bhulbhule (7 km from Besi Sahar) Finishing point – Nayapul Highest point – Thorong La pass (5400 m)Total ascent (in 15 days) – 11 685 mTotal descent loss (in 15 days) -11 358 mWalking on the road – 69 km out of 260 km but most of it wasn't on the main busy road.Average cost – NRP 2440/US$22 per person per dayAccommodation – guesthouses

This round-trip Annapurna trek provides trekkers with once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. They will see the Annapurna Region's rich cultural, religious, and ecological diversity. The walk is enjoyable because you can hear birds chirping over the dense forest canopy. Meeting always-smiling locals who say Namaste with their palms together warms everyone's spirit.

The Annapurna Circuit route's vegetation varies from sub-tropical and temperate forests in the lower elevations to sub-alpine and alpine forests in the higher elevations. Rare medicinal herbs can be found in these forests. Herbs like the Yarsagumba caterpillar fungus are well-known in this region. It is thought to have aphrodisiac properties. Red pandas, musk deer, and the elusive snow leopard are all endangered species.

Outline Itinerary of the Trek:

Day 01: Arrival in Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu (1300m)Day 2: Drive to Chamje (1410m)Day 3: Trek to Dharapani (1860m)Day 4: Trek to Chame (2650m)Day 5: Trek to Upper Pisang (3300m)Day 6: Trek to Manang (3520m) via GhyaruDay 7: Rest Day at Manang for AcclimatizationDay 8: Trek to Yak Kharka (4035m)Day 9: Trek to Thorong Phedi/High Camp (4540m/4880m)Day 10: Trek to Muktinath (3800m) after crossing the Thorong La Pass (5416m)Day 11: Jeep driving to Tatopani (1100 m)Day 12: Trek to Ghorepani (2800m)Day 13: Hike to Poon Hill (3210m), descend to Tirkhedhunga and drive to PokharaDay 14: Drive to KathmanduDay 15: DepartureIncludes/Excludes

Mountain View during Annapurna Circuit Trek:

The Annapurna Circuit trail connects Dhaulagiri (8167m) and Annapurna (8091m), the world's seventh and tenth highest mountains, respectively. Mountain peaks such as Gangapurna, Lamjung Himal, Manaslu, Pisang Hill, Chulu East, Chulu West, Nilgiri, Tukuche Peaks, and the ever-present Machhapuchhre or the Fishtail can all be seen from the trek.

You'll be passing through the Kali Gandaki Gorge as well. This is the world's deepest gorge, located between the Annapurna and Nilgiri mountains in Andhagalchhi (2,520m). The gorge is over 5,000 meters below Mt. Annapurna's summit, making hiking the Annapurna Circuit a once-in-a-lifetime experience for many.

What is the best time to go for Annapurna Circuit Trek?

The trek can be completed at any time of year. The best seasons for a Round Annapurna Trek are autumn (mid-September to mid-November) and spring (March-May). The Annapurna Circuit's weather and temperature are ideal for trekking at this time of year. However, the trek can also be undertaken in the winter and during the monsoon. Monsoon and winter are the best times to trek in Annap if you want to escape the crowds.

Permits for Annapurna Circuit Trek

You need two permits for Annapurna Circuit Trek

1. Annapurna Conservation Area Project (ACAP) Permit

NPR 3,000 per person Roughly USD 3NPR 200 per person for SAARC nationals Roughly USD 0.2Children below 10 years do not require an ACAP permit

2. TIMS Trekkers Permit

NPR 1,000 per person for organized treks through an agency (permit is blue in color) Roughly USD 10 NPR 2,000 per person for independent trekkers (going without guide or porter) (permit is green in color). Roughly USD 20NPR 600 per person for SAARC nationals Roughly USD 6.