In Another Life

"My-- beautiful princess..."

I looked down at my hand holding the poisoned dagger against his chest. Gasping as I saw blood seeping from the wound, I tried to throw the weapon as far away from him as possible. But to no avail.

I couldn't control my own body.

"No-- NO! Please no--" I cried out helplessly. I couldn't even see his face let alone know who he was to me, but I knew in my gut that I couldn't lose him.

In despair, I could only watch as the man dressed in black slowly turn to dust in front of me. The wind taking him, along with my heart.

~~~

"Signy! Get up or you'll be late for school," my step-mom, Roslin, shouted downstairs.

Opening my eyes, I felt a single tear escape. Catching it on my finger, I wondered if I had a nightmare.

Shrugging it off, I glanced at my bedside clock. It's 7:40am! Tossing my blankets aside, I got out of bed and took a very quick shower. While blowdrying my hair, I heard a familiar roar of engine and smiled to myself. Seems like a skirt won't do today, so I dressed up in my favorite faded jeans and packed some change of clothes.

Beaming, I grabbed my bag and rushed downstairs.

Funny how I can miss that boy when he just broke into my room last night.

Suppressing a giggle, I was about to head out when a concerned voice stopped me.

"Dear, at least take your breakfast with you."

Turning back, I grabbed an apple and a yoghurt. "Thanks, dad," kissing his cheek, I bolted for the door.

"You shouldn't be riding in that death trap," Edward worriedly sighed under his breath.

I almost rolled my eyes, "He's always careful, dad. Especially when I'm with him."

He does speed, but he's careful.

Escaping his retort, I sprinted through the lawn towards my man.

Hand in his pocket while the other holding my helmet, Audwin smirked as I excitedly run to him.

Flawlessly catching me, he chuckled. "Missed me already?"

"We rarely ride this bike of yours! Of course I missed Little Crow," I pat the black motorcyle endearingly. We often carpool with Aldous but when I got up late or Aldous had student council duties, Audwin gave me rides.

Narrowing his eyes, he mockingly threatened, "Don't call him little." He messed my hair and gave me the lavender helmet, "Here. We're late."

"And whose fault is it that I stayed up late?" I cheekily bit back while strapping in.

He just laughed and started the engine, "I never heard you complain last night."

"Hmp!" Unable to think of a reply, I straddled behind him.

Fastening his own black helmet, he turned back and revved. "Hold on tight! We're gonna fly."

***

"See you at lunch!" Barely able to make it before the first bell, I was about to sprint amidst the busy hallway when Audwin grabbed my wrist and pulled me to him.

"Not so fast, young lady," taking hold of my face in his hands, he gave me the hearty good-morning kiss. "See you at lunch," then winked. Whistling as he leisurely headed for his own class, it's as if he wasn't late himself.

Shaking my head at my hopeless boy, I hurried to my locker and got my books.

"Signy! Don't forget our practice later. The game is near. And--bring Gina will you?" Elizabeth blurted out as she was being escorted by her boyfriend, Vittorio. A classy head cheerleader sporting a blonde bob, she's also a campus journalist. Talk about an overachiever. No one dared to probe into Vitto though. He emitted a dangerous aura that kept everyone away  except for Liz. They said he's backed by a powerful family.

Speaking of which, I spotted Gina's brunette head walking briskly along with Romy.

Slamming my locker shut, I ran up to them and bumped Gina's shoulder. "Liz said practice after class."

She made a face, "I have to tell Arslan," referring to her man next town. They met on an archeology site field trip and since then, Arslan never stopped pursuing this Arabian beauty. They only met occasionally though, so changes in schedules ruin their time together.

"He'll understand," I said comfortingly.

"Easy to say when you and Audwin are practically together morning til night. We're even cheering for their upcoming game!" she pouted.

"I don't know who to root for. Should I be a traitor?" Romy said with a gleam in her eyes. Her boyfriend, Julius, was playing for our school's rival team. "I don't like the thought of Paris winning anyway--"

"Romy, quick! Professor Ghiyat's coming," Bellona motioned for them to get in the room.

Halting their morning chit-chat, they rushed in for their first class.

◇◇◇

Chapter art by @drlee2535 / banana (discord); check out her IG @banana_pajamas_ ★