Apologies

The first time I met him, I was terrified.

That blue hedgehog was willing to turn me into scrap wood. My words fell on deaf ears as I successfully dodged every punch and every kick he threw at me. He then stamped on my tail with wicked glee to stop me from escaping, but that was a mistake. Pulling my tail triggered some sort of defense mechanism: a powerful kick to protect myself from harm.

My foot harshly came into contact with his face. I swiftly spun around to face him, apologising for my mistake and explaining myself to him. But the blue hedgehog wasn't finished with me yet. He was still willing to go to town on me after everything I just told him!

Before he could make sawdust out of me, a yellow-furred two-tailed fox stopped him in his tracks, apologised on his behalf and introduced himself and his friend to me. Their names were Sonic and Tails, apparently. The fox was a lot kinder and more understanding, so it was easy for me to open up to him and tell him a little about myself.

Chaos ensued as an army of exploding robots came out to greet us (not in a friendly way, mind you). Sonic, Tails and I were able to escape and get to safety, eventually landing on a blanket of snow. That experience shook me to the core.

Shortly afterwards, Sonic was willing to leave me behind in the middle of nowhere! What did I do to him to make him hate me so much? And besides, I saved Tails' life twice! Fortunately, the fox was able to convince Sonic to take me along with them to the Chateau. We all travelled there by plane... with Tails tucked in the seat, Sonic on the left wing and me on the right wing. The entire flying experience was horrifying! I didn't think I was going to make it in one piece!

Once inside the Chateau, I made it clear that air travel was a nightmare for me. In response, the hedgehog told me to get over the fact that I didn't fall to my doom during all this. I was sick with worry before I felt my anger towards him slowly consume me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a long day of picking locks and escaping an avalanche that engulfed half of the Chateau, I reflected on these past events as I approached the wooden railing of the balcony. Sonic was able to dig his way out of the snow, alive and unharmed, and was surprised to see me standing there. My nervousness took over when his gaze met mine.

Tails quickly stepped in to tell him a little about my heroic stunt on a duck-like enemy, and Sonic turned to me with a proud smile on his face. He kindly thanked me for my help as he approached me... but the next thing he said to me was...

"Sorry I was kinda tough on you before."

Kinda. Tough. On. You. Those four words were enough to replace what little joy and relief I had with a great deal of pain and disappointment. I couldn't find the words to describe his 'apology'. Noticing the change in my expression, Sonic's smile quickly faded away.

"What's wrong?" he asked, his voice riddled with curiosity and confusion.

"You weren't kinda tough on me." I simply responded. "You were very tough on me."

My brows dropped slightly as I continued scolding him. "In fact, you didn't even listen to anything I had to say."

Sonic couldn't believe what he was hearing. "Belle, I-"

I was far from finished. I wasn't going to let him continue making excuses for his actions towards me.

"You were willing to attack and destroy me even when I made it perfectly clear that I didn't want to fight and after I accidentally kicked you in the face for stepping on my tail. I would have been done for if Tails hadn't stepped in."

As my words entered Sonic's ears, his shock and disbelief quickly turned into sorrow and guilt.

"I know..."

"You then came up with a terrible excuse for assaulting me." I continued as my brows descended even further. "You even tried to leave me behind in the middle of nowhere after I saved your friend's life twice! You didn't even console me properly after my terrifying experience with flying! Can you imagine someone treating you the same way you treated me?!"

Silence fell between me and Sonic as we stared into each other's eyes. My anger towards him still remained as Sonic's guilt reached the breaking point. The hedgehog slowly closed his eyes as he lowered his head in shame.

"You're right. You're absolutely right." Sonic spoke solemnly, raising his head to face me. "Long before I met you, I made two stupid mistakes which led to the world nearly being destroyed. Despite my fears and suspicions, I had no excuse for the way I treated you."

I was still staring daggers at Sonic, but I couldn't help but agree that the way he treated me was cruel and unnecessary. As brave as he was for acknowledging his mistake, the hedgehog had a long way to go to make me want to trust him.

Sonic then lowered his gaze to the thick snow staring back at him.

"I assumed the worst in you. I showed no mercy. I didn't give you a chance."

He gazed back at me, only to find out that I was still glaring at him.

"I am very disappointed and disgusted with myself and I am truly sorry for what I have done to you."

And there it was. The apology I was waiting for. The apology that Sonic should have given me after showing gratitude. The way he put his hand to his chest showed me the depth of his shame and regret for what he had put me through.

It was because of this that my anger towards him swiftly vanished. Understanding took its place as Sonic lowered his head and turned his back towards me.

"...May you one day forgive me."

I couldn't believe what I heard. Sonic was willing to give me as much time as I needed to collect myself so I can start anew with him. Not as enemies, but as friends. It didn't take long for me to give him an answer.

"...I do." Sonic was taken by surprise. He turned his head around to face me, only to be met with a look of composure. A gentle smile slid across my face as I mentioned one more thing.

"And I accept your apology."

Sonic smiled affectionately as he turned to me and I simply beamed in return, for this is the start of a new friendship.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: And that's my fanfic based on certain parts from Issue 36 of Sonic IDW. I'm sorry the whole thing looks like a dog's dinner.

A/N #2: Also, I relied on my memory to help me with the start of this fanfic. After doing a bit of research, Sonic was actually going to turn Belle into scrap wood before she explained herself, not after. Oh, well.

A/N #3: ...Speaking of the start of the fanfic, I just realised something. If Belle had been absent (i.e. destroyed), Tails would have been lost to an Eggman robot or Starline, and the caged Chao and/or their rescuers would have been caught and trapped in the snow, and it would have been all Sonic's fault.