His Lady

(Y/n) sat quietly in the position that she had maintained for nearly two hours as she watched her boyfriend train. It was only when he finally took a break did she approach. "Vegeta?" She asked softly as she flew over to him, stopping a few feet away. "Hmm?" He grunted taking a drink of water, his back to her. "You've been training for awhile now, and I was wondering if maybe you would like to go do something together." She suggested. "I'm busy right now. Why don't you go ask Bulma or Kakarot's wife." He growled as he stretched his arms. (Y/n) flinched slightly, but decided to try again. "It's just...It's been awhile since we've spent anytime together." She said quietly. "I said I'm busy right now! Why can't you get that through your head. I..." He snapped as he turned to face her, only to bite his tongue when he saw the hurt on her face and the tears in her eyes. "Look, we can spend all the time you want together after I beat Kakarot. Alright?" He amended softly, cursing himself for forgetting how fragile human emotions could be. "Sure." She said as he turned away and charged up an energy ball. "That's what you said three years ago." She whispered under her breath causing Vegeta to misfire in surprise. He whirled around only to find her gone. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?" He muttered as he thought back. They shared the same bed, they sat together at meals and she accompanied him during his training. What more could she possibly want. Shaking his head, he decided to head home. There was no way he could concentrate with that comment in his head now. As he flew home, he paused at the sound of a familiar laugh. Hiding his energy level, he watched as his rival played with his family. His brow furrowed in confusion as he watched Kakarot playful toss Chi-Chi in the air only to catch her and gently swing her around before pulling her into a hug. Realization hit Vegeta like a spirit bomb, and he quickly made his way home. He had been so focused on beating Karkarot in battle that he had forgotten to be a better lover to (Y/n). He may now be a prince by name alone, but (Y/n) was still his lady and she deserved to be treated like one.

Entering their house, he saw her curled up on the couch with her headphones on reading a book. Or pretending to read. He could tell by her eyes that she was lost in thought. With a sigh he went to their room and looked through her side of the closet before finding what he was looking for. A stunning dark blue dress. One of the first gifts he had given to her. Assembling the rest of the ensemble, he returned to the living room and gently placed it on her lap causing her to look up in surprise. "Vegeta, what's up?" She asked taking her headphones off. "Would you like to go to dinner tonight?" He asked as he sat next to her. "And maybe we can go dancing afterwards." His chest swelled with emotion as her smile lit up her eyes. "I'd like that." She said softly as she leaned forward to peck his cheek only for him to turn his head in time to capture her lips. "Go get dressed then we'll go." He said leaning his forehead against hers before helping her up. As she headed for their room, he headed for the shower to clean up. Walking into their room with towel around his waist he stopped dead in his tracks. All he could do was stare dumbstruck at the beauty that stood before him. He had forgotten just how beautiful she really was. "Take a picture, it'll last longer." She said playfully as she finished her make up. He simply chuckled as he dressed in a casual suit. "I'm driving." She said suddenly as they made their way to the door. "And why is that? Aren't I the one taking you out on a date?" He asked slightly confused. "Because, I've seen you drive and it is terrifying." She said as she grabbed her purse and the car keys. "Fine." He relented as they got in. As embarrassing as it was, she had a point.

*For this part, I would recommend listening to the song Right here waiting for you by Richard Marx. Or whatever slow song you like.

Over dinner, he spent most of the time refamiliarizing himself with his lover. Three years of training had dulled his memory. Regrettably, he had missed her birthday and their anniversary. He only remembered the holidays because of Bulma's extravagant parties. In the middle of their conversation she suddenly stopped talking as she focused on the song playing. Seeing her expression, he smiled and stood. Holding his hand out to her, he asked formally "Would you do me the honor of dancing with me?" She nodded, taking his hand and letting him pull her to her feet. "It would be a pleasure." She said with a smile that could freeze time. Moving to the middle of the floor, he pulled her close to him one hand on her hip and the other holding her hand. He slowly led her in a tango, moving in time with the music. He pulled her even closer and pressed his lips to her neck. "I'm sorry." He whispered in her ear. "I'm sorry I wasn't there for you as much as I should have been." Apologies did not come easy to Vegeta, but for her he would apologize as many times as she wanted. "It's alright. I understand, you want to be a better fighter than Goku, and it takes time." She said looking in his eyes. "But its not alright." He countered with a sigh. "Kakarot trains almost obsessively as I do, yet he still makes time for his family. Why am I any different? How can I be better than him when I'm not there for you the way he is there for his loved ones?" He was genuinely frustrated with himself. They had slowed so they were swaying in place. (Y/n) was surprised by Vegeta's change of behavior. All she could do was rest her head against his chest, listening to his strong heartbeat. "I still love you." She whispered softly causing him to chuckle softly. "And I love you, My Lady." As he spun her around through the night, he made a promise to himself that he would treat her like a lady, and cherish her for the precious gift she was.