⤷ one

what if mizuki never said yes?

THE NIGHT WATCHED SILENTLY, mournful stars gazing upon the land of earth with dimming flares

THE NIGHT WATCHED SILENTLY, mournful stars gazing upon the land of earth with dimming flares. The moon frowned, melancholic streams of argent washing upon the five that stood outside, a cool breeze drifting by the world, hiding amongst the grass, peeking through the green strands with curious, innocent, naive eyes.

"I'm sorry," came the mellifluous voice of Mizuki Sayeko, "but I can't be the soulmate you want me to be."

Four hearts shattered at a few simple words, compact with meanings that tore them apart, in mind, body, and soul. The earth's core crumbled beneath them, shifting in its axis. Had it really? No. But the moon exploded metaphorically, and the stars ceased to burn. The bond between five strained heavily, unseen golden lines fading the connection between Kuroo, Akaashi, Bokuto, Kenma, and Mizuki.

"This is my rejection of our bond."

Tears welled up in their eyes.

Mizuki saw. A pang of pain struck her heart, but as quick as it came, it was gone.

"I'm sorry. I hope you all live happy lives."

She didn't wait a second more, turning on her heels and walking away from the ones made solely for her, and her, for them. They watched her leave, bodies aching, minds aching, hearts aching. Why? was their only thought. What did we do wrong? Their hurt bled an ocean into their veins, mingling with their blood cells. Their souls felt wafer thin. Their body trembled and chilled. The warmth that once kept them up at night, dreaming of a day where they would finally be complete, was gone. The bond now bereft of any feelings. Purely cold and empty.

Mizuki Sayeko had always, and will always be the Ice Queen. She lived up to her name, refusing to let the warm smiles, the hearty laughter, the tender affections melt away the walls encapsulating her heart. It just wasn't within her nature. Or was it because she was scared? she would wonder. Either way, Mizuki made her decision, and her decision was final.

She could live without her soulmates.

The past had taught her they brought more trouble than good.

"I'm sorry, mother," she muttered, walking through the dark school grounds, lit up only by a solemn moon. "I broke our promise."

Promise me you'll meet your soulmates and love them just as much as I love you.

Promise me.

I promise.

I lied.

For Mizuki's mother had loved her, and she left her all alone. Mizuki wasn't going to allow herself to suffer through the same fate, nor was she going to let herself crumble at the hands of strangers. Because that's all they were: strangers with a connection to her.